Something to be excited about

What are you most excited about going forward with the football team this season?

I’ll start: the JUCO bunch that CDH has signed all rank in the top 15 of their respective positions and the top 150 of all JUCO prospects around the country. Those are elite pieces that we NEED to bring back a defense that plays with passion and aggression.

Go Coogs!

3 Likes

I’ll start with the defense. If our defense had even been competent last year, we would have easily been in the NY6 game (yes, I think we could have beaten UCF with even a mediocre defense last year). The JUCOs certainly help, but the change of staff is beyond huge. I’m excited to see what they can do.

But I’m really excited about the offense. As good as the offense was last year, I think it will be even better this year. I’m the most excited about Tyron Carrier working with our receivers. There’s a lot of work to do to right some of the wrongs from last year, but I think 2019 is going to be a huge step in the right direction.

Go Coogs!

4 Likes

I’ve been watching some of CDH’s games from last year and one thing I’ve noticed is he will vary his tempo. He knows when to rev it up and knows when to slow down the pace to get into good plays-one of my largest criticisms on Briles. Something I also noticed why Grier and their offense were efficient was the fact that CDH is not afraid of repetition( I know some will cringe from reminiscing of Major calling the same dive play, only to fail). The main difference between the two is that CDH will KNOW that its there, and will keep attacking it until the defense changes(see just about every coach against Donofrios cushion). I think this will be critical against the teams on the latter part of our schedule.

3 Likes

Yep. I’ll never forget the Arizona game. We were already up 21-0, got the ball back and threw 3 deep passes in a row, all 3 of which hit our WRs in the hands and were dropped. First, I don’t think that happens now with Carrier working with our WRs. Second, there was no sense in going 3 and out so quickly on that drive. Sure it would have been exciting for Lark or Stevenson to haul in a 75 yard TD, but we were up 21-0, King was having his way with Zona’s defense and we gave them the ball back after using up 26 seconds of game clock. It didn’t ultimately hurt us, but that’s the kind of drive you need to extend to completely crush the soul of the opposing defense. Briles is exciting, but sometimes not very smart.

4 Likes

I’m very excited to have an experienced head coach. We caught lightning in a bottle with Herman and Applewhite was just not ready; CDH brought WVU from the Big East to a (self-proclaimed) P5 conference. With realignment on the horizon, I couldn’t imagine a better coach to get us there!

1 Like

Definitely excited about the defense. There’s some strong pieces already on the team and some interesting incoming players as well. It’ll take time to gel, and the schedule is brutal early, but by the end of the season, that could be a nasty group for other teams to contend with.

1 Like

Agreed.

DL: Turner, Payne, and Chambers.

LB: Anenih, Parrish, Caesar, Gooden

Should be a salty front 7!

CBs will be the key. Hopefully the JUCO kid can step in right away and then one of the 2 Smiths or Small steps up.

1 Like

lol I think we’ll be ok as long as we can get to the QB when we blitz. They just need to be in the area when the ball gets there and the safeties have to be able to help over the top. I think the safeties are going to help us tremendously. We’ll see!

1 Like

We’ll have to see. One thing, with the new defensive scheme, the CBs will be playing up on the receivers to hopefully mitigate the quick passes. Safeties will be providing help deep if the QB has time to throw.

Hard to say how the new CBs will respond, but I imagine that they may look better as they are allowed to be more aggressive.

1 Like

Are we running a 3-3-5? 3 DL, 3LB, 5 CB/S

1 Like

From watching some of his Arkansas State games, he’ll alternate between 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. The Nickleback will be key; I’m thinking Stuard fills that role as Khalil Williams did. Kind of like a Rover so-to-speak. He’ll come up double receivers, blittz, set the edge, drop into curls zones, you name it. Just knowing that we’ll be mixing it up is enough deterrent from picking on our CBs in itself. Opposing QBs better be able to make quick reads, and opposing linemen better be able to be in the correct protection.

My money and my body are ready! lol

2 Likes