Sources: Gonzaga in talks on joining Big 12

They could, but I don’t see it. Their conference is super weak, but they play big time, blue chip programs every year in non-conference. They recruit at a very high level despite their conference affiliation. The wild card is Mark Few. If he leaves and they don’t find a great replacement, that would be really bad. Of course, the same is true for our Coogs.

At this point they are probably established enough to get another good coach. Improving their conference affiliation wouldn’t hurt though

1 Like

I really hope this happens. a basketball juggernaut conference would draw a lot of eyes and generate some sold $$$

football will always be #1 for money but basketball can be a major draw as well

This might help draw Arizona, for all sports.

The Wildcats’ Head Coach came from Gonzaga.

4 Likes

It wad true for the coogs. From coach lewis to coach sampson. Quite the gap

Different scenario entirely

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1593078121179537410

4 Likes

If I am Gonzaga, wouldn’t I wait until I see what the Pac 12 deal is?

Gonzaga might be west coast but they know where the heart of US basketball is gonna be for the next 20 years. I think Gonzaga thinks of itself as the best program west of the Rockies and they’ve earned the right to play in the country’s best conference.

2 Likes

halftime at the horns zags.

espn puts up a graphic from ceasars gambling site, cougars are favorites to win the title.

coogs, 6-1
next best was unc at 10-1

2 Likes

Well they prob know it’s not more than the big12 and the big 12 is the better bb league along with the pac being so slow to ever invite new members so they don’t want to waste time with the pac.

How was this tweeted from the future???

3 Likes

We wasted yrs on this board hoping for a pac invite so we took the invite from the big12 asap and fought to get in vs trying to go to the pac saying , hey can we get in the pac , let us know bc we’re talking to the big12. The pac sucks in their snobbishness. There failure to act fast is killing them.

1 Like

Gonzaga might be changing their mind after getting spanked by UT earlier tonight . . . . .

Maybe with NIL, Gonzaga knows this WCC thing is unsustainable. Once conference play starts Gonzaga disappears from the national scene, from January to early March.

Why not join the Pac 12? UCLA is leaving and the rest of the league basketball wise stinks. (If you wanna play Arizona, just schedule a home & home series with them)

1 Like

I believe embedding on Twitter from certain sites sets it in UTC

I got 10-1 at Mandalay Bay last week.

The cynic in me thinks Gonzaga knows their golden era is closing and they want to catch on with a power conference before it does.

Say Mark Few retires and Gonzaga does what Depaul did after Ray Meyers or Georgetown did after John Thompson, do you want a small school in Spokane Washington?

5 Likes

That’s possible. In my opinion, it is not as easy of a decision as some people make it to be.

1 Like

I agree. Gonzaga here today, Gonzaga gone tomorrow.

3 Likes