Spring Sports No spectators

It’s literally the easiest sport/facility to socially distance the spectators… Doesn’t make much sense to me. Must have to do with not having to pay Aramark for concessions if we don’t have fans in attendance.

2 Likes

Here’s my suggestions. As we know, baseball fans are pretty easy to please. We don’t need bells and whistles. We’re fine without pre inning contests and all of that.

They’d probably lose money on the concession stand. If they lifted the no outside food or drink (except alcohol) rules, and didn’t have a concession stand at all, we’d be fine. I mean no concessions, minimal security/ushers. Because let’s be honest, what’s the worst that will happen at a college baseball game, especially without alcohol sales and minimal fans. I’m not an accountant or anything, but go back to charging for parking for a season, maybe a slight TEMPORARY increase in ticket pricing, and I’m sure they’ll at least break what they usually make.

4 Likes

I don’t know if they’d break even with normal years… They sell a lot of beer at Schroeder Park, typically.

No outside food/drink is just dumb anyway for baseball parks.

I am psyched I can watch all the games on espn+, though!

Go Coogs!

2 Likes

This really blows, I was hoping to take some kids from our team up to games this year.

1 Like

Just awful with no fans when you know that fans are showing at just about every level in boys and girls action.

Wow. Rice is going to let in fans. A friend got a call from them about renewing his season ticket.

It will really put us at a disadvantage conference wise if all the other conference teams allows fans and we don’t. There goes a pretty sizable chunk of home field advantage. I haven’t done the research yet, but I’m going to try and find the policies of other conference teams.

2 Likes

Just bring ladders and sit in the “bleachers”… You could even use McDonald’s as concessions.

1 Like

ECU has the strongest fan base in the conference and they are starting the season without fans as well

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Article/ECU-baseball-attendance-policy-2021-season-159712566/Amp/

No fans:

Houston
ECU
Tulane

Fans allowed:

Wichita
Cincinnati
UCF

Not announced:

Memphis
USF

Thanks…good info. Definitely an advantage to have fans. That makes our decision even more puzzling. I was beginning to think it was a league mandate.

Oh well, off to breathe that un-safe air in FC in a bit. Oh wait…isn’t it safer than being outdoors? Wish me luck! :sunglasses::beer:

1 Like

High schools don’t care based on how they conducted football and even basketball games with little checks and balances

Colleges have been worse than pro events

1 Like

Fans should be allowed to ALL sporting events… Wear your mask and social distance, isn’t that what they say will keep us safe? Now, NO fans!!! Whoever is making this decision of NO FANS should be FIRED

2 Likes

Many basketball programs are going with no fans including Tulane. Just glad we get to go to hoops!

1 Like

Of course I’m glad we have hoops…haven’t missed a game!

So far it’s 3-3 in conference as to whether fans can attend with three unannounced. I am just surprised/disappointed that the school hasn’t made a definitive announce as to the reasoning, given the success of allowing fans in an enclosed facility.

Be it money, safety, or an equal fairness accessibility issue for all spring sports, I believe fans would have been better served by more openness and accepted whatever decision made.

To add a bit, it’s a great schedule with a home series with Texas and a single home game with A&M. Throw in the team’s own expectations, just a hard one to sit out.

https://twitter.com/jdm2186/status/1354821726266245121?s=21

2 Likes

Expect a positive update soon. :+1:

3 Likes

To not allow spectators in an outdoor stadium is ridiculous. This is Texas not California. Maybe if we all email Renu, she will pull some strings and change this.

2 Likes

This pretty clearly wasn’t a safety issue. It was very likely a cost issue.

5 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. It sucks though. I really want to catch some of these matchups.

2 Likes

You hearing any rumbles ? Not being able to go to games blows