Standing Still? Offense Against Temple?

There was very little movement on offense. I do not remember us standing around on offense like that ever. Was this designed to clear the way for Sasser/Mark/Shead to drive inside or just poor execution?

5 Likes

There were times of ISO, but it didn’t seem more than usual to me. It wasn’t nearly as bad as the 2nd half of the Alabama game. The problem was we couldn’t make anything. I’m not sure how much ball movement would have helped yesterday.

Yep… Shades of Bama where we were horrific in the paint…

7 Likes

Temple seemed to completely shut down Roberts inside. He is normally good for a few dunks and baby hooks near the hoop.
Chaney played hard but simply is not a threat to score much.
Francis was once again in over his head.
It’s obvious why Sampson is bringing in at least 3 big bodies as we move to a much more physical Big 12
Most of our inside misses were by our guards

3 Likes

Temple did a good job of doubling J’Wan. I’ve watched every game this year and I believe that is the first time J’Wan has ever been doubled. He’s not built to score against double teams, but he is a really good passer and found open shooters out of the double team. But no one could make anything. Mark is usually a scoring machine in ISO, but he couldn’t make anything. Shead’s floater in the lane has gone from being incredibly good last year to being absolute garbage this year. I have no idea what happened there. It’s hard to criticize Sampson, but I do wish we had Francis on the floor at the end rather than Reggie. After Shead’s layup attempt was blocked, Francis would have grabbed the rebound and dunked it. Reggie tried to lay it back up and got blocked. Not to mention that even if Reggie had drawn the foul, he’s an awful FT shooter. In my non-Coach Sampson-opinion, I think Reggie should only be on the floor at the end of a game if we are protecting a tight lead. Not if we’re trailing and have to score.

5 Likes

Francis looked like a deer in the headlights when he was in there. Chaney and Francis are not scoring options but at least Chaney backs down from no one.
If we had converted our point blank shots we win easily and Roberts has double digit assists.

2 Likes

My nitpicky gripe is Sampson is very rigid on what he will do on offense. Temple is the kind of team we could have played with more tempo against. We have the depth and talent to tire them out. Sampson was okay with playing at the pace they like and it cost us when we can’t make shots. Faster tempo also helps players gain some rhythm on offense because they don’t think as much.

9 Likes

TCU gets alot points in transition.

Besides maybe a Sasser 3, we don’t get alot points in transition. I get guys are fatigued after a defensive set. But when our offense was clunky, pushing hard after a Temple missed shot, Mark did that late in the game. Pull up jumper when we were down 7 or 5.

Would love to see more of that.

That can lead to better things for us offensively.

1 Like

We did the same thing second half against Alabama, Shead dribbled until under 10 seconds then we tried to run a play with futility

4 Likes

Not sure if it was by plan, but they got Jamal to shoot 4 more times than anybody else. This is not ideal for the Coogs.

1 Like

Shead has gotten pretty good at the catch and shoot 3 this year. That showed up in the first half. I don’t know what’s happened to his floater. It was money last year and is complete garbage this year. The one shot he took yesterday that was completely mind-boggling to me was the 2 for 1 attempt with about 48 seconds left. Getting off a quick shot to have the 2 for 1 opportunity made sense, but it made no sense for Shead to be taking an off-the-dribble 3 there. That can’t be how that was drawn up. I would rather Sasser heave it from the logo than have Shead shoot that off the dribble.

1 Like

also…if we could make FT!!

2 Likes

We missed 10 free throws and that came back to haunt us for sure. We need to beat UCF now to maintain our conference lead.

BREAKING NEWS

Our guys are human, not robots.

3 Likes

teams are trying to take away Sasser 1st, Bama and Temple did a great job and some others have also. If teams can limit Sasser’s attempts and get UH down in the shot clock where they run high ball screens with Shead and he continues to have games leading UH in FG attempts and continues to shoot 37% then that is advantage opponents.

UH could have lost the USF and UCF games at home also. And even with the poor FG and FT shooting yesterday, UH battled, didn’t allow a fg the last 7 minutes and had the ball and the last shot with a chance to win

6 Likes

Big if true

2 Likes

I still want to see Walker use his size and skills to take it to the hole. He seems to favor moves to the left with soft floaters. Not the aggressive approach I think he should be using by now.

His rebounding and defense have improved.

FT shooting…… not so much.

4 Likes

I think Shead gets caught in between lookinh to distribute/lob and score on his floater…

He needs to just try to score it instead of looking to lob or just looking to get it up on the rim for an offensive put-back attempt.

1 Like

Good thing Sasser returned to the team this season; otherwise, we would have more than two losses.

2 Likes

I understand where you are going with this but for the most part we usually have more offensive options! After having two great off. games J.Walker got sick and has not been as much of an option. Also vs Temple Tramon was not as effective from mid-range. Unlike some posters I believe that the AAC has better teams than they are given credit for! Temple showed that they are capable of playing a strong DEFENSIVE game! We get everyone’s best effort!

2 Likes