Starting The Students Only Game. Thoughts?

I think getting 7k students to go to a buy game is VERY optimistic.

3 Likes

I don’t think we’d expect them to buy tickets.

If I recall correctly, didn’t we play an exhibition game at TSU in front of HISD students only? No one seemed too up in arms about that.

I love the idea…you’re getting a chance to showcase one of the public spectacles that the school takes pride in…and, hopefully training some of the students to become future active alums. I think that’s something today’s students want…a crazy, fun game experience. We’re slowly creeping that direction…but things like a students-only game go a long way to help introduce more students to the game experience.

1 Like

Students should never buy tickets. I recommend a pass system. If an alum passes their ticket to a student, whether it is a students only game OR an entire season, they should get some credit for next seasons student tickets.

1 Like

Maybe our students think this is a game with no students lol. Probably our season ticket and alums thought it was a student only game lol.
Oh well get in here if you can!

I believe what TJCoog meant by a “buy game” was about the opponent, not the way the students purchase tickets. To which, I agree. I could not see any world where the student section packs out FC, no matter what their incentive. They had trouble filling the student section for a team that was 2 years removed from a natty, there is zero chance the students fill the entire stadium for a single game unless it is a highly ranked team, and that would likely only happen because most of us would show up with fake student ID’s to get in. I love the idea, but there is no way based on the evidence I have seen.

2 Likes

My cousin is a student at UT. She says she gets an automated text the morning of a basketball game as a reminder from the athletic department. It’s new this year.

2 Likes

They did it at the Gregory Gym where volleyball team plays. Texas played basketball there from 1930-1977 so part of it was it was a throwback first basketball game at Gregory in 44 years.

And the turnout has been well!

Seriously, UH needs to do something about saying “COME TO GAME!” instead of throwing it on social media.

If they sent out a text and the demand was there It would be unique and a good way to fill Fertitta when someone couldn’t make it. but yesterday the student section ontop of the band was not full at all and has only been full for Virginia. Alumni haven’t filled Fertitta either except for Hofstra (kind of) and Virginia.

7k just seems like a lot considering the student section at football games don’t fill up because it holds 7k not 5k. The tickets they distribute are for numbered bleachers but everyone packs in behind the end zone and the other sections don’t get filled. Or don’t go at all.

I think UT has had trouble filling up their basketball student section of 1500 just as much as their stadium. So this is a wide issue and not just us. That’s why that stadium they’re building is smaller.

They did. Doing this was HUGE.

When I was in school, my group of students (and some not students) PAID OUR WAY into the Hof to watch games, and usually, but not always, the building was full. It seems that now a days, everyone wants everything for FREE . . . . . and then don’t appreciate any of the free stuff . . . . .

3 Likes

Why would you post this BS?

Exactly what part is BS ?

3 Likes

You probably paid your way into the Hof because you didn’t get in until the last second and the only choice was to buy tickets.

Trust me, the students here rave about tickets being free compared to Aggy/Texas. It’s just horribly inaccessible

Every sports-centric high school student that asks me about how much tickets cost at UH for students, their mouths drop when they hear the word ‘zero’.

Converting Aggies/Horns to Coogs at its finest xD

1 Like

Back in the ‘60’s, you had to buy a student ticket booklet that contained tickets for all games. It cost about $12……. But it was worth it.

4 Likes

Over 12 hours of work, that is insane.

Inflation that’s quite a bit.

Actually, I stopped on the way to the games, picked up a box of fried chicken and arrived early enough to watch the ladies games prior to the men’s games . . . . .

1 Like

I stand absolutely corrected and apologize for my statement.

Just joking about sold out Men’s games due to demand nowadays.