Statue to honor MLK

Unfortunately haven’t been on campus much the last decade or so. It’s mostly parking lot to Fertitta Center or TDECU.

It’s a creative sculpture and when you investigate the background of the inspiration, it makes a lot of sense. Perhaps not my style, but they didn’t solicit my approval.

Designed by a Chinese artist.

2 Likes

I agree but it looks like a bag of dickssss

I think you’re confusing the MLK monument in Washington DC (by Chinese artist) with the new controversial one in Boston (Black American artist).

2 Likes

That statue only worth 2 reparation in California.

I think there is more negative public sentiment about the new MLK monument just now.
This is not unusual. I think the Vietnam Veterans Memorial experienced a lot of
dislike as well, initially. Now it has become one of the most cherished, with the traveling
replica version even drawing crowds. I hope the new MLK sculpture has the same fate.

But I totally get your tastes in this type of art. Many people travel all over the world to
see traditional sculptures of man.

Despite the stated wishes of the VVMF, Lin’s design proved instantaneously divisive. Many veterans, politicians, critics, and the general public read its refusal to explicitly glorify the war or frame the listed soldiers’ sacrifice in recognizably heroic terms as an ideological statement, proof of Lin’s—and the memorial’s—purported anti-war position. Its detractors perceived it as “a monument to defeat, one that spoke more directly to a nation’s guilt than to the honor of the war dead and the veterans,” describing it as the “black gash of shame,” the “degrading ditch,” and a “wailing wall for draft dodgers and New

1 Like