Sure doesn't feel like 5-1

We’ve been hanging 40 or more on everybody thus far.

Good enough.

3 Likes

Quan, hate to agree with you, but spot on. If it’s not perfect, it’s just not worth watching. Incredible.
Pearland is probably ready to boycott – again.:joy:

This board is always the best. We didn’t score on every play…we’re terrible, ECU got some first downs…whooo do we fire!!! I want answers!!

The team is very good. Is it great? Who knows, but it doesn’t need to be great to win the division and possibly win the AAC.

ECU was terrible and the players knew that going in and could tell during the game. They lose focus and that’s where you have to improve.

Bottom line is the AAC is a nice conference but it’s still filled with teams no one cares about and don’t move the needle excitement wise. It really doesn’t help that UH’s division is very very bad.

I’m excited for the next round of games as I think they’ll be competitive. However, Texas will be highly ranked. A&M is getting attention and the city is focused on the ALCS and more than likely the world series.

Did any of you sit through UH football in the late 90s? Some of you are spoiled big baby men.

5 Likes

You also need to include 2000-2002…the infamous Dimel Years.

Some UH fans are chronic complainers. Offense, defense, coaches, W/L record, uniforms, other fans, start times, weather, sound system, etc. Some fans/posters could be married to Halle Berry (or insert your beautiful person of choice) and they would complain that she can’t cook.

I’m thrilled that we are 5-1. Wish we were 6-0. We’re not. Better than 1-5. Always happy to be a Cougar.

Go Coogs! Peace.

4 Likes

We are a special breed of fans.

You look at your typical P5 fan. They don’t care about making playoffs. They just enjoy going out to the games and having a good time. Perhaps winning the conference is enough for them.

If we were in the Big 12, I guarantee we would have playoff expectations every single season lol

Guys look at AAC road records in conference games. Teams are performing terribly on the road compared to home. Navy at SMU, Memphis at Tulane, even USF at Tulsa even though they pulled it out. We won a conference game on the road convincingly. Gotta be happy with that.

The defensive philosophy has changed and now they are more on par with the offense. We could have lost the last two games since we didn’t score 50 but the D has stepped up.

The offense will be fine. CKB has two games that could have been better and he’ll adjust. Teams have plenty of tape on our new offense now and it’s starting to show. CKB is more than up to the task to adjust, I think we all know that.

Next week will not be pretty. Teams don’t just roll into Annapolis and blow out Navy. I don’t care what kind of season they are having. Just gotta survive and advance next week.

2 Likes

Vegas is obviously not perfect and far from God but there is one thing to learn from it that many don’t seem to be doing. You know Vegas had us heavily favored against Rice, TSU, Tulsa and ECU. That means at worse they had us 4-2 to start the year. At best 3-2 and a toss up the last 6 games. If you want to bet that we win our last 6, make sure you get appropriate odds for your payout.

Their estimates are overall very on point. That’s why they have giant hotels and give free drinks. Of course they’ll miss but the expectation for this team was about 8 wins. It looks like they’ll surpass that.

Johnson at corner is playing better, as are the LB’s. I think the defense has definitely gotten better this year. Offense is quick strike and stall. It is either or. Long Drives are not our forte.

3 Likes

Johnson and the DBs in general are making more plays. It has to do with CMD ratcheting up the pressure the last couple games.
I have been a huge critic of his. But in these last two games he has taken away the screens and easy pitch and catches for automatic five yards.
This has given the DLine some time to go after the QB.
I especially like when we blitz either side of Ed because something has to give…and it has been.
Still not a fan of the delayed safety blitz. I like it when the safety gets up near the line.
I also like the blitzes where they overload a side with a blitzing LB and DB.
Really giving our DBs a chance to get some picks.
I hope it continues. And you can see the confidence building in the defensive backfield.

5 Likes

There is nothing real about complaining about a 5-1 start. We are in the drivers seat for the West Divivsion of the AAC and have a real shot at going all the way. But there is a cadre on this and TOS that just feel they have to complain because UH:
Didn’t hire Orlando
Made a down the hall hire (of course they would have been fine with a down the hall hire of Orlando)
Hired CMA who is a UT alum
Didn’t hire guys they wanted that aren’t doing well elsewhere (remember the guys that wanted Montgomery or Chad Morris)
It goes on and on – some people are just malcontents and love to spread their own misery.

Pesik, your post was spot on! But then I’m the guy that is pumping sunshine, a poly, unreasonable, a homer, etc. But, this is a home board, my question is why isn’t everyone on this board a homers?

4 Likes

I am enjoying the season, not too hyped and not down since the one loss was not to rice or tsu.

It should be noted at least a third of the posters do not attend the games they rant about. Thus this board is not the fan base.

I still think this team will play in the AAC championship and that is all I ever cared about. Cannot control or even guess the bowl options, but winning a championship can’t hurt.

2 Likes

Clearly much of the complaining is simplistic, and those doing it often probably understand the game. Having said that, we do need to win and not just to the tune of 7-5 or 8-4. If an up-and-coming coach could pick a program at which he could win and move to a major P5 job, I would all but guarantee you that coach would pick UH or UCF. We all understand that 7-5 doesn’t attract the attention of the city, and the turnstiles click slowly. In addition, we absolutely must be in the best position possible when realignment comes around again. So I understand why fans feel we need to be winning.

1 Like

I feel like I’m stuck in this weird Twilight Zone of defending past results yet warning people about too high of expectations in the future. Optimistic hopes are positive and healthy. Optimistic expectations are a minefield that often breeds malcontent.

1 Like

This board is a polite garden tea party with delightful cucumber sandwiches and a charming quartet playing chamber music in the gazebo compared to most p5 fan bases. We have all the saltiness of the judges on the Great British Baking Show when three of the four remaining contestants are really good.

We have a good team. Our division and Arizona are terrible this year so we aren’t getting great tests to prepare for what may come down the road, but this is not a program for those who easily get “tired of winning.” Go back to the Patriots or the Tide if you want to freak out over every blemish, my life is too short not to enjoy a 5-1 start.

8 Likes

You guys are acting lightweight. SEC fans are merciless when their teams don’t win by 20. Big Ten fans are like entitled country-clubbers that get suicidal when they aren’t ranked in the top ten. Have you been on the West Virgina board since that fluke loss. It’s hysterical.

This is what high expectations look like.

We also have to contend with the “Dorito Effect” - defined as ‘feelings of impending doom complimented by periodic and visceral hallucinations of an methane-spurting asteroid crashing into one’s football stadium.’

The problem is that we let off the gas too soon. We need to score 60+, need to wear white pants more often, we need to start looking for a new oc since ckb is getting hired away, and we need to stop having day games!!! 7 pm or death!!

1 Like

If I would have told you before the season you could have:

SITUATION A

1. You could be 5-1 after 6 games
  2. In which case you would score 40+ in every game
  3. Every win would be by at least 2 TDs
  4. The one loss would be competitive

OR

SITUATION B
You can take your chances, play the games, and see if you can go 6-0.

90% of you would have taken Situation A. And the other 10% would have insanely unrealistic expectations.

5 Likes

When you let your current QB dictate the coach you hire, you get Arizona 2018…

2 Likes