TA&M

WE PLAYED THE AGGIES FOR YEARS BEFORE THE SWC
THEY WERE ALWAYS ON OUR SIDE FOR JOINING THE
SWC, BUT HEY I LOVED WHPPING THEIR BUTTS.
THEIR WAS A POST ABOUT THE 30 SOMETHING GAME
AT THE ASTRO DOME. ( HEY I LOVED THE DOME, NO
RAIN OR HEAT OR COLD. PRIVATE CLUB BUT THERE
WERE NOT ENOUGH MES) I HAD TAKEN A CUSTOMER
AND WIFE TO THE GAME, AT THE HALF WE ALWAYS
WENT BACK INTO THE CLUB FOR TODDY . MOST OF
THE SEATS WERE COOGS, BUT SOMEHOW THE AGGIES
GOT SOME TICKETS. AS WE GOT TO THE DOOR THREE
AGGIES RAN OUT CURSING AND TALKING ABOUT THEIR
BAND SHOWING UP THE COUGARS. THERE WAS A SR
CITIZEN LADY IN RED BY THE DOOR AND MY WIFE NEXT
TO ME. THEY WERE 25 TO 28 YRS OLD. ONE 6FT 2. 5 AND THE OTHER TWO NORMAL SIZE. BUT THE BIG BOY
WAS DOING ALL THE TALKING
I SAID YOUNG MAN I WILL DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO
SUPPORT YOUR TEAM,.BUT THE CURSING IN FRONT
OF LADIES IS UNCALLED FOR. HE LOOKED AROUND
AND SAID I DON’T SEE ANY LADIES. AROUND. WOW
I AM SURE I WAS BEAT RED AND IN HIS FACE AND
SAID THIS IS MY WIFE AND SHE AND THE SR LADY
ARE LADIES AND IF YOU DO NOT APPOGIZE I WILL
THROW YOUR A$$ OVER THE RAIL.( ABOUT 30FT
DROP TO LOWER FLOOR} HE CALMED DOWN AND
SAID HE WAS SORRY. CHARLIE BROWN AND RANDULE
DORCETT ( BOTH VERY BIG GUYS) SAID GENE ARE WE
HAVING A PROBLEM HERE. THE THREE AGGIES GOT
VERY QUITE AND LEFT THE CLUB LEVEL. PPOOORRR
AGGIESSS.

14 Likes

Another great story, and thanks for doing the right
thing. I was at that game as well; it was a rockin good time.

2 Likes

Randle Dorset coached my brothers at Klein.

1 Like

MY WIFE TAUGHT AT KLEIN WITH RANDAL BACK IN THE
EARLY70S AT FUNCKSHUNS WE ALWAYS HUNG OUT
WITH THE DORCETTS. WHEN THEIR DAUGHTER WAS
KILLED BILL (OLDER BROTHER) CALLED ME AND ASK
ME TO GO TO THEIR HOUSE IN FRIENDS WOOD.AND
ADD SUPPORT. BAD SITUATION. I DON;T KNOW IF THEY
EVER GOT OVER THAT VERY BIG LOSS.

2 Likes

Gene I’m pretty sure you knew Hap Harrington. He hired my Dad at Klein to be an assistant principal. Your wife probably knew my dad Ken Laird.

1 Like

What a great Cougar World in which we live, all tied to our great University. Stories like these make my day !!!

1 Like

Remember the game well. I worked in an office with a bunch of Aggies and the days proceeding the game was brutal. After the game I hurried to the office and used a ream of copier paper to make a huge 33-0 scorecard and hung it on the break room wall. Not one of those Aggies came in on Monday but my T-sip boss sure enjoyed the spectacle!

2 Likes

Gene we met in Lubbock at the last UH-TT football game and I have a good Aggie story for you. Who knows, you might have even been there. (It was told to me by Bill Cooper, a ~78 year old who works with me who passed along this story from Richard George who you likely played football with at UH.)

Back in the day it seems that Richard “Dic” George, a former UH football player & former head of the H-Association, had occasion to have a little run-in with an Aggie corpsman. During their little “tussle,” he may have removed the Aggie’s senior boots and his corpsman hat. Well, apparently he left the guy’s boots behind but kept his hat as a souvenir of their little “meeting.”

For many years, Richard operated a business aptly named Dic’s Coffee Service where he met with hundreds of customers over the years. It seems that one day while he was visiting a customer’s office, there was a guy who proudly displayed his Aggie memorabilia including his “senior boots.” When asked about it, he told a story about one day (many years earlier) having his arse kicked and his senior boots and hat taken off of him. He said he got his senior boots back, but never did find his revered old Aggie corpsman hat.

And so, a few days later, Richard said he returned this guy his old Aggie hat.

5 Likes

That’s a cute story!

I knew Dic George. He was awesome. His coffee service was used at Klein and maybe still is. I saw him at the ymca about 8 years ago and we talked about all those old swc games. We sat in the club one game in the dome and had a blast. My Dad really liked him.

1 Like

I KNEW RICHARD AND USED HIS COFFEE SERVICE . HAD A
LOT OF TRIPS WITH RICHARD AND HIS WIFE. THERE WAS A
GROUP OF US WHO MADE A LOT OF THE OUT OF TOWN
TRIPS. WE PLAYED ARK UP THERE AND WE BEAT THEM.
AT THE HOTEL WE STAYED AT THEY SET OFF ALARMS
TWICE THAT NIGHT. FALSE ALARM, THE SECOND TIME
I TOLD THE MRS I WAS STAYING IN BED, IF ITS ANOTHER
ALARM THAT IS TRUE I’LL JUST GO BEING VERY HAPPY.
WE HAD THE TRUCKER WHO WAS RICE GRAD, HE SAID
BE SURE YOU FILL UP BEFORE GAME. IF YOU WON ARK
GAS STATIONS WOULD NOT SELL YOU GAS. OH WHAT
GREAT MEMORIES. GO COOGS

2 Likes

I remember that game I think. “Poor Aggies” was all you could hear. The corps filled the, I think South end of the stands in the Dome. Most of them were gone in the 4th and many of those still there were sitting… taboo for corps.

There was an aTm sign at a high level most of the game. One might think it was an aggie but later two brown paper squares were dropped off the ends to read “eaTme”, a literary allusion to “Animal House” the movie popular then.

I thought we took them 30-0 unless they got a garbage time TD or something. Long time ago but good times!

1 Like

Which game was it where we kicked off at midnight after the Astros game?

1 Like

1980 after Astros extra inning game with Phillies

1 Like

Richard George’s brother, Larry, was married to my wife’s sister.

1 Like

I thought we kicked off at about 11:30 and finished way after midnight – like 3 or so. But, I was excited and wasn’t sleepy at all.

1 Like

I had gotten my 15 year old son a sideline pass for that two day game. We met him and the player’s gate after the game. Thankfully it was not a school night. He had chin straps, jerseys-all kinds of locker room loot. He was so excited. He did end up graduating from our law school after attending UT.

2 Likes

it did. The Astros had a playoff game that afternoon that was over about 3pm. It took until 11:30 to convert the Dome from baseball to football. The game was advertised as the first 2 day game of the century. As a side note, it was my daughters very first Cougar football game. She was 2 weeks old (don’t judge us, it was a different time) and every time the aggie band played the aggie war hymn she cried.

2 Likes