Take aways

Good chance they end up being the best team we play all year and its not like we had home field advantage either.

And I will second it that Marcus Jones being out was very significant.

1 Like

BYU is better than I thought. They showed stunts up front on defense that they didn’t use in previous games. Our O-line struggled with that and is the reason they basically shut us down in the 4th. They should be top 10. They were able to step up their game when they needed to and we couldn’t handle it.

We are still a good team but have more work to do to become really good, I think. Go Coogs!

4 Likes

Good post.

And though I like Tune’s skill set, and he played fantastic for three quarters, I am waiting for him to take control of this team. By that, I mean when people make bone-headed plays he can address them as a leader and people respect it. Or the receivers celebrate his perfectly thrown TD pass and celebrate with him instead of just with the other receivers. I want him to take that next step as a leader.
And it will come when he starts bringing us back from ten points down in the fourth quarter, loading the team on his shoulders and pulling off the comeback win.

1 Like

my takeways:

• insane amount of mistakes and dumb plays
  • the onside kick by them was brilliant, and what probably defined the game
  • Our Dline has totally and unequivocally exceeded preseason expectations – some many short yardage stops
  • our DB unit has ridiculously underachieved preseason expectations- damarion is regularly getting beat and we havent even played any world beater WRs
 not 1 newcomer has been note worthy and we brought in like 6 guys
  • our LBs have been so-so --some big tackles, a lot of missed tackles 
stuards presence has been diminished this season
  • the offense isnt smooth, i cant put my finger on it, but something is off
 WR, QB, Oline, TE i cant point to any and say they had a bad game
 i think we have the personally to be ELITE on offense 
but something isnt right as a whole

• marcus jones for punt returns, we shouldnt have taken him off
2 Likes

when does penalty equal dirty???
gettting tons of false starts, and been bad at coverage getting aton of PI doesnt make you dirty
most dirty plays dont get penalized

3 Likes

You betcha Rico the future is very bright for us. Re-read my comments on Patrick Paul. I think the world of him and expect him to play on Sundays. He has an enormous potential. Did he get rattled? Either way our next game is a great opportunity for him to rebound. He will. I have no doubts about it.
I call it like it is. It is only my personal opinion. Why am I criticizing our defense and coach Cauthen in particular? Re-read my post. I too expect coach Cauthen to highly criticize himself. This is exactly what coaches do. The entire coaching staff has already “dissected” most of the game by now. You take in consideration many factors. This gives you a ton of “tape” for areas that you will work on. You can never achieve perfection but you can always work harder and better.

Now this is for you mountaincoug. First and foremost I am a U of H alum. Yes I was close to the SDSU program. You can deny all you want on how BYU specializes on holding and blocks from behind. Some were called but not nearly enough. You got away with it
again.
By the way I thought Mormons did not swear? Yes buddy I have numerous friends that are Mormon.
The BYU coaching staff has been excellent for many years. I am a huge fan of Bronco Mendenhall. Taking on the Virginia program is in itself a huge task. The BYU coaching staff shows how productive and efficient they are. I have no doubts either that we will make huge progress there as well.
BYU fans are awesome and objective.

I concur with quite a few of your points. Except for the “If UH had played a perfect game, they would have won” We were up by 12 point and your QB’s efficiency was going South. The fact is we did not “finish” you up. We are clearly no there yet. Huge props for your entire squad and coaches to dig deep and exploit our self inflicted mistakes. That is why you are undefeated right now. Again props to BYU. I made it a point that this was our second game. There is no way of knowing on how more efficient we would have been if we had previously played five games. We move on to our next opponent after learning a valuable lesson. That is what I am hoping for. Good luck to your team.

1 Like

I agree with your simple summary! I believe we are much improved and I think we are more balanced off. & defense than in team in the American. I also believe that we were up by 12 in 3rd qtr. to a team that might be better than any team in our conference.

2 Likes

As frustrated as I was with last night’s loss I both loved and hated BYU fans showing up. Y’all were good away fans, and y’alls discussion on this forum has been great.

However I will say, I loved the whole ‘kick UH while they were down’ type of deal. BYU just kept scoring and scoring when they could have ran down the clock and stood there like a bunch of other teams do. I hate losing, but when a team is going to pounce on ours, I’ll give them props.

1 Like

You’ve re-read my comments after a misunderstanding previously. I’ll re-read yours as well to ensure I did not misinterpret something.

For now. Since my coogs are not on, the wife has me on paint duty.

1 Like

What happened to Marcus Jones?

Quite the opposite. When it became clear we could run out the clock with ball control, the coaches didn’t call throws. They ran it up the gut. Your defensive guys, who had been quite good at the line all night, couldn’t stop a run up the gut. It didn’t help that your offense went for it (and rightly so) on fourth and about eighty deep in their own territory. That late TD was a fluke for BYU. If you had watched our first three games, you would know that Sitake goes to great lengths not to score unnecessary late TDs.

3 Likes

Tune played great. I usually note when he turn over the ball, but he was simply outstanding verses BYU.

Whoever is in charge of special teams needs to be yelled at badly.

Some in the team are indisciplined. That’s on CDH and he needs to fix it.

1 Like

What happend to Marcus Jones and D’Anthony Jones? Are they injured?

Yes. Holding BYU and Tulane to < 100 yds in back to back weeks is no small feat. Tulane ran for 195, Huderson for 132, vs SMU. So I’m happy with our run D.

2 Likes

Don’t you know that nothing is impossible for the people that don’t have to do it?

5 Likes

He was taken out too much om offensive play calls. Can we retired the draw already ? Stevenson was pissed in the 2nd half for being pulled out on some plays. He should rarely if ever step off the field on offense.

Lol. Exactly Mike. And hey, I have Ridley in my fantasy football league and that dude couldn’t get open to save his life a few weeks ago with Julio Jones out of the game :grin:

If we think BYU are dirty, wait till next week against Navy. Salute to our Naval Academy for their services but middle finger to Navy HC. One of the dirtiest football man alive.

Congrats to BYU and their fans. Great game. Y’all came out strong and finished stronger. The onside kick killed all of our momentum. Love y’all creatively on offense. Hope we can learn a few trick plays from BYU this past week. Good luck to the rest of the season.

4 Likes

Yea, that stupid punt was a meathead mistake. Dana looked like he’d seen a ghost. Just stood there with his eyes wide.