Tank Dell

I’m curious Jo, what is your background? I don’t need specifics….

I see your takes in football and basketball….I agree with most….some not so much.

But you seem knowledgeable that’s why I ask.

4.49 is plenty good

Jarace Walker-- Agent. :smiley:
He can fill you in on the others.

3 Likes

Bullet Bob Hayes was a sprinter drafted by the Cowboys in 1964. I remember NFL promos on CBS billing Hayes as the “fastest human alive”. Hayes actually had a productive NFL career given that he was a sprinter.

2 Likes

During the late 60s, early 70s :
Cowboys-- B. Hayes & Lance Rentzel
Raiders- Warren Wells & Fred Bilinikoff
had the perfect compliments for WR … Speed & Route runners. Both combos were very good.

2 Likes

Tune ran a 4.66 in his first try, 4.64 the 2nd. He was first among all QB’s in the 3 cone drill which I think is more indicative of scrambling and illusiveness than straight line 40 times.

3 Likes

Tune always looked like he had good speed and especially athletic.

1 Like

Of QBs, Tune has placed # 5 in the 40, #1 in the 3 cone and top 3 in several other drills. I am taking the lack of arm strength comment off of the above post because I just noticed this was from SB Nation who list Tune as from Wyoming – no credibility.

1 Like

I know not intended, but "productive’ is an understatement for someone in the Hall of Fame

1 Like

Get open. Catch ball. RUN. Dell can do all that. He’s gonna get a long look from the NFL.

4 Likes

Clayton Tune 5.80 - Average Backup

By Lance Zierlein

NFL Analyst

Overview

Resilient in the face of adversity, Tune has proven that he can come back from slow starts and finish seasons strong. He’s more of a snap-taker than playmaker. He’s a full-field reader who needs plays to stay on time, as he lacks improvisational talent. Without a plus physical or athletic profile to lean on, Tune must learn to speed up his eyes, quiet his feet and improve his post-snap process to beat NFL defenses with timing and accuracy.

Strengths

• Four-year starter and three-time team captain.
  • Proven ability to overcome adversity.
  • Works his feet to find platform deliveries when possible.
  • Patience and willing to work through progressions.
  • Uses rhythmic pocket climbs to secure his delivery.
  • Adequate drive power between the hashes when planted.
  • Maintains field scan when leaving the pocket.

Weaknesses

• Footwork can be too undisciplined in the pocket.
  • Pressure tends to rattle the reads.
  • Might not trust his arm enough for fearless, tight-window throws.
  • Lacks anticipation and zip for consistent ball placement.
  • Release quickness can be sluggish.
  • Throws receivers against the sideline too often.
  • Accuracy plummets when forced to move his feet.

Tank Dell 6.32 - Eventually will be a + starter

Overview

Every second of the route is a separation opportunity for Dell, a touchdown-making machine who pairs electrifying top-end speed with twitchy short-area quickness. His routes are fast and effective on all three levels with keen ball-tracking talent deep and sideline-dotting footwork. Focus drops and contested catches are ongoing issues that are likely to continue at the next level. Dell is dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch and as a game-changing punt returner. His slender frame is a concern, but the explosive talent could be difficult to pass up for teams needing a big-play weapon to stretch the field and mismatch coverages.

Strengths

• Scored 14 touchdowns in his final nine games with Houston.
  • Keeps distance from coverage to stay unencumbered in the route.
  • Uses jab and crossover to defeat coverage leverage.
  • Gives few clues when snapping off the route.
  • Very sudden and explosive out of his breaks.
  • Able to separate on all three levels.
  • Talented to track and adjust paths to make the catch.
  • Very nice with his feet near the sideline.
  • Catch-and-go punt returner with game-changing ability.

Weaknesses

• Slender frame falls below NFL standards.
  • Wasted motion getting into press release.
  • Drifts into in-breaking routes.
  • Dropped 21 passes over the last two seasons, per PFF.
  • Has struggled to secure throws through contact.
  • Below average catch radius.

Gervarrious Owens 5.85 - Average backup/special teamer

By Lance Zierlein

NFL Analyst

Overview

Owens has the physical ingredients to play safety. The mistakes he put on tape should be a concern, though. His cornerback background shows with the way he matches route breaks from man coverage, but he lacks the field vision and instincts to become a consistent playmaker from man or zone. Owens is a willing and physical hitter, but he takes suspect angles to the football and has too many missed tackles after the catch and in run support. He has draftable traits, but the issues might be a difficult fix.

Strengths

• Team captain and four year-starter at Houston.
  • Usually stays deeper than the deepest as high safety.
  • Covers with decent route anticipation in the slot.
  • Cornerback experience for big nickel consideration.
  • Steps downhill quickly to attack the line of scrimmage.
  • Can be a vigorous hitter when playing in the box.

Weaknesses

• Dropped several potential interceptions in 2022.
  • Inconsistent field recognition as a safety.
  • Burst to the throw appears to be just average.
  • Can be a step slow diagnosing the mesh point.
  • Takes suspect angles to the football from high safety.
  • High number of missed open-field tackles.
4 Likes

Production sometimes trumps measurables.

3 Likes

Tune is sharp enough he could be in the NFL for a while.

3 Likes

Are they seriously judging his potential based on the combine? They really said he lacks speed. These writers have probably never watched a single game in their life

5 Likes

Scouts and NFL people LOVE their numbers. They TRUST their numbers. Having said that, some guys with suspect numbers become great players. Dell will get a look, but his size might be the real problem. I myself actually thought he was bigger.

I don’t remember that many drops. Is this a case of him being targeted so many times? Feels like the internet age throws out a lot of numbers as proof with no context.

Numbers are strange. Derek is 6’2 and has been since he was in HS. Shrine bowl has him at a little over 6ft.

3 Likes

Yes he had some drop troubles early in his but was a stud his SR season.

Dell cannot be defended on an island so whatebver they say his speed is I know he is fast and extremely quick off the break.

When I was in HS I was 5’-6" and 130 pounds. The program had me listed at 5’-9" and 175. I would have loved to be that then and would now for that matter.

3 Likes