Tell us nba how you really feel about the Uyghurs

1 Like

I mean in the most cynical of ways. He’s not wrong, he’s absolutely speaking for the silent majority. Just a bitter hard truth. We as Americans as a whole don’t care that much, I mean we care enough to say it’s wrong, maybe some virtue signaling on social media. It’s all caring in the abstract, but deep in souls people of all walks of life and beliefs don’t care. Politicians want to be mad s China and issue high level statements but certainly don’t want to be burned for the economic upheaval of punishing China.

The Uighurs qualify for the Ambivalence Freedom Package

Yes the same approach was taken about Jews in Europe. The only difference if that we had a much bigger Jewish population in America that emigrated “early” to escape the nazis. How many Uyghurs live in America? We have a choice to either boycott this chinese dictatorship or we do not.
This nba owner tell us how he feels about it. We have every right to tell him how we feel about his franchise.

2 Likes

Yeah and we didn’t care about the Jews until the end of the war and got there. It’s almost line the ending the Holocaust was written in at the bottom of"war aims" to make ourselves feel better.

But on this guy, I’m not going to lose it over him telling a a hurtful truth. That basically no one cares, because he’s right. For 85% of all America if you or I told them that getting the Uighurs to work harder in the camps would lower prices and solve silly chain issues and get them there Amazon stuff faster that’s be the first ones cracking the whip.

I

It is your opinion. Apartheid is another good example. the West did put pressure and finally South Africa opened up. The difference here is that we are witnessing a communist dictatorship acting as they please.
The question is do we have a choice to put pressure on the nba to condemn such racist actions. Furthermore we have the choice to prohibit the nba from playing in the chinese dictatorship. Sports teams in the past were barred from playing in South Africa or Cuba.

2 Likes

If you watch the interview, later on the owner starts to back track a little.

He says he simply feels that if bigger organizations or institutions who are more equipped to confront China about it and make it a priority, then he, like a lot of other people who are indifferent, would be more inclined to do or say something.

But, he argues, NATO, the United Nations, and even the US has not taken tangible actions to address it, no policies, no penalties, nothing to show we really care about the issue. Oh, we aren’t sending people to the Olympics
. That will show China

1 Like

The NBA will not do anything to hurt their golden Chinese goose. They proved that with Daryl Morey

4 Likes

Unfortunately for the Uyghurs they do not hold any political, voting, public opinion or economic power. So nobody will care to do anything other than say a few nice words. That’s how the world works, unfortunately.

Exactly, just the ugly truth. Then people get mad when the ugly truth gets told to them. Which is what’s happening here

2 Likes

That is why I refuse to watch the NBA. By catering to the ccp dictatorship they are an accomplice to this genocide.
They/we have a choice to do business with them.
What is the definition of bloody/dirty money?

1 Like

He comes from Sri Lanka which is an absolute disaster and has the nerve to tell us we need to worry about our issues before we fix someone else.

Why didn’t he help fix Sri Lanka’s sh___ before he cross-docked through Canada and came to tell us to fix sh—?!

F— him.

2 Likes

That’s some sweet shooting of the messenger right there. It’s all the truth nobody cares in a meaningful way, if people cared something would be done about it, there be mass boycotts, protests, high level actions, all that but there isn’t, and there probably won’t be.

And besides it’s not his job to take care of Sri Lanka it’s one of the worst arguments of bad arguments. Do better you’re not a dumb person don’t make dumb arguments.

I think that if the media made efforts to cover it, there probably would be. It is something that they are choosing not to cover.

1 Like

Why are you calling someone dumb? What’s the point? Do you want to be called dumb?
You mentioned nobody cares. That is your opinion. Case in point I opened up this thread. The backlash from his comments are all over sports media. How quick did the nba/warriors respond? They did so precisely because of the backlash. Do you think the nba is happy about it?

yup, and sometimes you wonder if its not covered because it wont be a popular enough story to sell ad’s or if friends and relationships are involved in a story not coming out.

Sounds like a BIG concerted conspiracy among dozens of news organizations all over. ‘Catch and Kill’ industry wide ? Not buying it.

Wait a minute.
There is a genocide happening due to the chinese dictatorship. This is not an invention. We boycotted the Moscow Olympics in response to the oppressive Soviet regime. The ccp is not a free republic. It is a dictatorship with daily deadly consequences. The nba has a choice. They choose to “align” themselves with the chinese dictatorship responsible for this genocide. They did not have to. Solar panels are mostly made by the Uyghurs. A friend of mine in the solar industry told me that his company used to have an American factory. The Uyghurs solar panels that first appeared on the world market was product dumping. His factory could not compete with product dumping. They now have no choice but to import Uyghurs made solar panels.

First
 Didn’t call anyone dumb called the argument of “He’s from Sri Lanka he should fix Sri Lanka!” Dumb. Fully reading instead of looking at words would’ve been useful here.

Yeah I’m aware of the performative apologies and the need to shoot a messenger. Perhaps they can also change their social media profile pictures to show how very serious they are. They’re doing the smart thing as it was put in Futurama, “What do we do when we break a window? Pay for it? Oh heaven’s no, we apologize with nice cheap words.” Words are cheap, wake me up when someone actually does something substantive.

On the media, it exists to sell itself, if there was a real demand for coverage their would be coverage. If it had been determined that the Uighurs plight is not profitable it won’t be up there. Now a foreign migrant criticizing the US and our the citizenry that’s an easy click, view, etc.

But Bryant I could care less if the media speaks about it or not. We all know that the media is owned by huge conglomerate that do business in the chinese dictatorship. Remember when the previous stinky rodent C.E.O. said that China is not ruled by a dictatorship. He also had one of his movies (can’t remember the name) shot where the Uyghurs concentration camps are located. The nba choose their side. The nazis controlled the media in the 30’s. how did that turn out?

I don’t know what’s happening (being suppressed or not) and I really don’t care to be honest. But news stories being suppressed or influenced by relationships is nothing new. It does exist. Especially when advertising money is involved.