Texas, censorship and coogfans

How is it a hit piece?

I think it may be an example of unintended consequences.

Do you really get so easily triggered and look for bogeyman in the shadows?

“The ruling came from a three-judge panel on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals — which is often considered the most conservative appeals court in the country — and was not accompanied by a written opinion explaining the decision at the time of publication.”

What did the article say that makes it a hit piece? Not what someone said in response to it. It’s news and should be covered regardless of how @1985coog may respond to it.

This clearly isn’t a hit piece. I’m not sure why you said that other than you made an assumption based on the headline and didn’t read it.

2 Likes

Chris, i am not understanding your outrage. I figured you would cheer this, you want more government involvement in how businesses conduct themselves, especially if conservatives are “silenced”…don’t you love this ruling? Dont you want to drag us into an authotitarian theocratic state?

Yeah but I’m obviously biased and therefore probably shouldn’t be treated as a gold standard of objective reporting.

1 Like

Easy rtcoog and thank you for asking.
When a ruling is given by a left leaning court for a left leaning agenda when does it say in the article that this was a left leaning court ruling on it? You will read it on the fnews or newmax media but never on the left leaning media.

Great answer Bryant. How does the left leaning media portrays court ruling coming from a left leaning court?

The court ruled in favor of Republicans. What are you talking about?

1 Like

Re-read my post.

Lol, that’s all you got? Is it a right leaning court or no?

1 Like

Well I guess you missed it. Here it is again.
Easy rtcoog and thank you for asking.
When a ruling is given by a left leaning court for a left leaning agenda when does it say in the article that this was a left leaning court ruling on it? You will read it on the fnews or newmax media but never on the left leaning media.

I read it and responded. That one comment about it being a right leaning court (which it is) doesn’t make this a hit piece.

2 Likes

Conservative media loves to highlight…how the 9th circuit is liberal and liberals just shopped their case until they got favorable judges…blah blah blah…spare me your fake outrage

Courts generally have an opinion with rulings to explain their decision, this ruling which involves 1st amendment rights, kinda a big deal, didnt have one…not an opinion by the writers at Texas Tribune…just a stated fact…no opinion was included by the court.

3 Likes

lol

2 Likes

In the Wal Mart example above, no one was denied entrance to the “store”. Everyone was and still is allowed to come in and look around. Once they started shouting awful things and inciting a riot in the store they got kicked out and were denied service. You can’t yell “fire” in a crowded theater and expect your free speech to be protected.

1 Like

Not only that, but denying someone entrance based on race isn’t anywhere near a “free speech” issue. Refusing to provide a public platform for others’ free speech is, in itself, an exercise of free speech. Based on actual free speech principles, the Texas law should be held unconstitutional because it impairs the companies’ free speech rights.

5 Likes

That would be the correct interpretation of the 1st amendment in this instance. Have a like.

People are treating Twitter and FB like actual public squares when they are not. They are private property owners who let the children play in their sandbox but have every right to kick children out of the sandbox really for any reason they darn well please.

On a different note

Bias was brought up earlier on the Tribune calling the 5th circuit conservative, which it definitely is. Which if you believe that statement is biased, it must be acknowledged that when a preferred source calls the 9th the “most liberal court” which again it is. That is also that evil bias.
Personally, I don’t think it’s biased either way as the statement is really backed up. Calling the 5th Circuit conservative or the 9th liberal is nothing more than saying what is true and it’s backed up by appointments and rulings.

2 Likes

1 Like

You sure use the term “outrage” a lot. Just because a guy disagrees with something or thinks something is bad doesn’t mean it reaches the level of outrage. I don’t know if Chris actually is really outraged. He could just be mildly irritated. Are you outraged by his posts or just irritated, or just wanting to irritate Chris. Of those 3, I would think the last would be more fun. :wink:

Lol…he posts like he is outraged, so i will interpret as such.

He really does a great cosplay of Denish D’Souza.

We may not agree on much but I appreciate your sense of humor.

I can neither confirm or deny your third option.