Texas Electric Grid Problems

Wind generates more power at night. We need the generation that can hop online for peak usage, but with all the sun west of San Antonio, lots more we can do with solar.

I’m in Sienna. I have 32 panels and 3 power walls. Yes, with all of the sun we have had lately, my batteries do charge to 100% before sundown. I’m even sending electricity back into the grid.

With my usage, the payback will be in about 12 years.

2 Likes

I want a power wall and solar but my house has tile roofing.

I suppose that’s it. But Texans use 33% more then
Floridians and they kinda have the more southern hot humid climate as we do.

That’s the winter once you get north of Austin.

More like 35-40 cents and going up. I’ve never paid 23 cents on average and been here since 2017.

1 Like

The payback in CA was like 5 in the Central Valley and that was before the recent price spike.

What’s the difference between the Tesla ones and the ones the people go door to door for. Also how much did that run? I ask because Tesla quotes and i think they stopped making them for a bit idk if they started back up. Do they mimick the shingles?

Don’t move for 12 years

HAHA! I don’t plan on it.

1 Like

I didn’t think of that. The increase in prices might have shortened my return.

I don’t know much about the folks that go door to door, except that I don’t trust them. The system was $50k before the 26% tax credit. Even if I’m paying a little more, I have peace of mind for when the power goes down again whether from a storm or another power grid issue.

When we had that Cat 1 hurricane last year, the only way I knew the power was out in my neighborhood is because I heard my neighbors start up their generators.

Speaking of my neighborhood, Sienna must have the worst electricity delivery system on the planet. If 2 squirrels fart at the same time, the power goes out.

2 Likes

The difference is the power wall, which uses the same battery back as their cars.

Tesla also has a Megapack battery facility in Texas.

1 Like

Good to know. Google has it’s limits.

Is there any type of insurance or annual maintenance fee for the solar setup you have that’s an add on cost ?

I did add it to my homeowners insurance. It added a little to my premium but I don’t remember how much. It wasn’t a lot.