Texas Longhorns AD Chris Del Conte says talk of early move to SEC is 'way premature' / 06/21 ESPN Chairman-says UT & OK to SEC in 2025

Ut can’t cover both bc it’s what 70 mil each?

I heard at one time it was $90 million each, and UT could probably still cover.

Yeah but no way they pay 90x2. We will be playing them and OU for 2 yrs. plus they want to wait bc less beatings and they are in the sec waiting so they are good.

We’re playing them for 2 yrs is my bet.

Because programs that make lots of money also spend lots of money. OU athletics reported about 163 million in revenue in 2018-19 before the pandemic. They also spent about 158 million for that same year.

1 Like

I’ll go double or nothing on my student loans that says they will not leave before 2024.

2 Likes

None of the new additions to the big 12 will be playing UT or OU.

The existing teams will benefit from the gate receipts those two teams bring in. And I’m property confident those same remaining teams will split up the exit money instead of sharing it with the new teams.

1 Like

on another note

yes, i agree…we wont see them in 2023 or 2024…It is easy to exclude us when teams play 9 conference games when there are 14 teams in the league.

4 Likes

So UT and OU will pay the 90 mil each? I don’t see how.

Uh, Cincinnati, and the other new members would not see UT or OU

Baylor and tcu and the other existing members would.

CBS has the rights to the SEC through 2023. ESPN takes over full coverage in the summer of 2024.

So why would ESPN want CBS to benefit from this move? 2024 is the earliest Texas and OU would play in the SEC.

I’m pretty sure all Texas and OU have done is told the Big 12 they are not renewing the GOR when it expires in 2025.

If Texas and OU want to leave sooner than 2025, they have to give 18 months notice and pay an exit fee. Texas and OU have NOT given notice yet. Which means the earliest they can move is 18 months from now, or November of 2023.

In other words, it is too late for Texas and OU to give notice and play in the SEC in 2023.

I suppose they could pay extra for violating the 18 month rule, but again why pay extra to benefit CBS in 2023?

All signs point to Texas and OU joining the SEC in 2024 or 2025. If the former, expect them to give notice by Dec 31, 2022.

4 Likes

Spot on. Well said !

Nobody has any ideas if they or will not play. Again the networks control the BIG12 “steering wheel” What is best for them is what will happen regardless of GOR or no GOR. The illegally puf funded university located in Austin broke all SWC rules, by laws etc…when they orchestrated the SWC implosion. They had no rights to do so. Coog51 post last year exposed what really happened through one the old BIG8 A.D.'s. recollection.
You do know the old saying or add Austin to it?

1 Like

Texas could easily lend $80M to OU…

Years ago when TU whiffed on Saban and hired Strong, that Summer the PUF sold its “physical” position in gold bullion, not etfs, not stock, actual gold…
Almost $700M into the bank…

This was roughly 2-3% of the PUF Net Asset Value at the time…

So don’t tell me they “can’t” do it.

PS: They also commit illegal acts with impunity (Houston Land)…so don’t tell me that would be “illegal” either…

2 Likes

100% agree. Some posters are either posting this on purpose or no history knowledge. Please friends instruct yourselves. It is not that hard.

1 Like

The $80m (each) is just to leave the conference in 2025. It’s their equivalent of our original $10m to the AAC.

If they want to leave before that, it’ll be more on top of that. Given the GOR, potentially a lot more than that. In addition to whatever the Big 12 gets, Fox Sports also gets compensated for the UT and OU games that were supposed to appear on their networks.

If getting into the SEC depended on it, I don’t doubt that the money would be found. But there are some limits to how much it’s worth to leave a couple years early.

4 Likes

“…We ARE the Jones’….” DeLoss Dodds.
Still paying M$s today for several fired coaches.

There is no limit to their pocketbook, nor to their egos. Just my opinion, after watching 40 years of Texas’ spending stupidity…

5 Likes

“But if Pitaro is right on this one (or just telling the truth), that means three more football seasons with Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12, and it means the Big 12 will have 14 teams in 2023 and 2024.”

1 Like

I think them staying is about getting their talent level up.if they made the move now they would have 3-8 type seasons.

1 Like

How so…they get a top 5 recruiting class every single year?

It’s about the culture at the University of Texas…playing in the SEC will make it worse not better.

Their egos wanted to force their way into the top conference…they did

4 Likes