Texas Monthly: "Losing Our Religion: Texas’s College Football Identity Crisis"

You just don’t get a joke do you? My original post was a joke, but it obviously flew right by. Whatever.

You just mentioned two prog-rock bands from the 70’s/80’s in one post. Well done. :nerd_face:

I’ll argue that Houston is a Texas city. There is a difference.

you’re right, I didn’t get the joke and I apologize for being so dense.

No problem

Didn’t anyone get the memo… we’re a basketball state now! Get with the times.

When I said the first I meant the first Division 1 non-historically black university in the south. Of course, there were schools that accepted black athletes in the south and the country before UH. Those schools were schools such as Jackson State, Grambling State, Southern University, Howard University, Texas Southern, etc and they were all black colleges. Of course black colleges would accept black athletes! Duh!

But UH was the first university in the south that wasn’t built specifically for black students to make racial integration its policy. That what’s I’m trying to say, capeesh? Among Division 1 universities in the south that isn’t a black college what other schools have made racial integration its policy before UH that you know of?

Based on the way you want to take things out of context I could easily say none of those schools you pointed out are the first schools in the south to accept black athletes since I’m sure there were some junior colleges and high schools that had accepted black athletes before them! When people make a statement such as mine you have got to keep everything in context and not bring some black colleges and non-division 1 schools into the discussion since I’m simply stating a basic fact for a discussion board and not an article that is meant to be used as a university research source for students to cite from and I thought you’re smart enough to know that. If I have to include every little detail I might as well write a research paper!

UH is the first among its peers in the south among Division 1 public schools, such as UT, A&M, TT, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, etc to adopt racial integration for its athletic department. Now, does that sound good enough for you or are you gonna bring some black colleges, division 2 colleges, and junior colleges into the equation? Keep things in context, my friend!

2 Likes

Missouri and Kentucky are southern schools. Kentucky being an sec school, to boot.

This might help with the discussion point:

Blazing The Trail — University of Houston Magazine (uh.edu)

University of Houston Digital Library: University of Houston Integration Records (uh.edu)

Eh. Kentucky’s at least a little dubious. They were a Union State, after all.

Dave Lattin went to Tennessee State out of high school

But honestly minorities, mainly blacks then, weren’t headed our way until schools saw dollar signs. The stories of how we broke up the hbcu circuits ain’t that pretty but folks never accepted what it took to bring athletes on campus who honestly had no reason coming to especially living in segregated environments. Plus a lot of things were exchanged to local “community leaders” to influence those kids to sign.

1 Like

Did you read the story? It’s a lament to the destruction of Texas college football preeminence and history by the constant pursuit of more and more money–and it puts a lot of the blame on the University of Texas.

The story wasn’t about integration (though it was mentioned) or anything else you’re talking about.

I would submit that ending the SWC ended the tradition of college football in Texas. The b12 has been irrelevant for years. The SWC was one of the top three conferences anyone ever cared about. Instead of enhancing the SWC they caved to a farm belt league with 1% of the nation’s population. lol

7 Likes

Well put

North Texas integrated football in Texas in 1957 with Abner Haynes and Leon King. CBY & CGL recruited blacks because they wanted to win, not so much about being noble.

2 Likes

Texas Monthly is a useless Austin propaganda rag.

3 Likes

I think you’re looking back through rose colored glasses. The SWC had its share of irrelevancy. Working backwards from 1995, it went 25 years without a national championship in football. And the 1970 Texas national championship was not unanimous.

1 Like

Folks turn the blind eye to that -

Looks good for the feel good story but in reality it was a business decision. They saw there was more talent across the street and realized they had to get in on that.

In some cases some coaches took assistant jobs to help recruit them but stymied their professional growth cause they basically was there to babysit and keep chaos down

Why would you post something about Texas Monthly in a Texas Monthly thread?

You are not wrong, Sampson…BB isnt football… Houston had the first black football player in the south…Wondrous Warren who was a soph in 1965…Baylor followed soon after with RB John Westbrook, and SMU with Jerry Levias…Those guys were sophs in 1966. No southern D1 schools had black football players…