The AAC Farewell Tour Begins

Starting Friday we play 8 teams that are not on our future schedule. Some we have much history with(Tulsa), some not so much.
I suspect they will all give us their best effort and try to send us off with an L.

What teams will you miss playing?
What teams are you glad we won’t play again for the foreseeable future?

I’ll miss playing Navy. The trip to DC and Annapolis was really nice but I won’t miss their cut blocks.

5 Likes

I will miss Navy because it one was one of the few games with real gravitas. Just on history alone. I won’t miss Tulsa or Temple or USF or Tulane. I will kinda miss ECU. I hope Wichita can come back to championship status, too. Would like to play them again someday. I also won’t miss SMU.

Will miss games against:

Tulane
Memphis
SMU
Tulsa
East Carolina

Some strong history with these schools as we bounced from conference to conference. They built up athletics along with us. Gave us the competition necessary to capture a national audience, especially in the AAC. Will always have a soft spot for these schools going forward.

1 Like

Glad you created this thread.
We keep reading that one school moved to this conference because of monitary reasons.
This started after the 1984 SCOTUS decision. This SCOTUS decision is felt every day around college football. The way the ruling was written is 100% responsible for the current sec and big10 dominance.
IMO college football is made of geographical rivalries. Again IMO this is what made college football so popular.
By “redrawing” the college football landscape we can only a decline.
Someone in Houston gave a damn playing you know who in Austin, College Station, Lubbock/our SWC comrades.
Is it the same today?

2 Likes

I’ll miss Tulane and Memphis. Easy roadies to an actual city. I’d miss SMU, but we’re getting basically a straight-line upgrade when we play TCU instead. I’m glad we’re not gonna play ECU anymore, since we managed to avoid memes about playing in Touchdown East Carolina University Stadium.

The rest? Meh.

1 Like

I won’t miss any of them. Whether we are ready or not, I’m looking forward to B12 competition.

8 Likes

The mudcats.

1 Like

I feel like we were just getting going on something with Memphis.

Tulsa because of the long history.

Tulane a little, which surprises me a bit, but they’ve becone such a fixture.

Ready for a break from SMU (and as was pointed out we have TCU now).

But I’d rather get another shot at Southern Miss than almost any AAC member.

4 Likes

Can’t say I’ll really miss playing ANY AAC team.

None really piqued my interest. I guess playing Navy was kinda cool, but that’s it. I won’t really miss playing them much either though.

Playing Big 12 competition…THAT excites me!!!

3 Likes

Eh. Our rivalry with Memphis reminds me a lot of when the Dynamo, at their peak, were rivals with Sporting KC. For a while there, they were the two top teams in the Eastern Conference, and the Portal Cup was one of the most anticipated matchups on the schedule. The Dynamo hated the Sporks, and the feeling was mutual. But then the Dynamo moved back to the West, and they got back to 3 games a year against F_C_ Dallas, and it reminded the fans what it’s like to have a real rivalry, even though the Dynamo are now the Texans of MLS.

1 Like

I think that’s where we are are leaving things with Memphis, but we were (with the right promotion) headed for something more durable.

1 Like

I’ll miss only Tulane

Memphis is the only one that felt like a rivalry to me. That said, the AAC has been a good home for us while we bid our time waiting for an upgrade.

3 Likes

We should play Tulane each yr

The ACC teams?

Who’s that? While reading the Daily Cougar.

1 Like

I would say our matchups with Navy, SMU, and Memphis have been the most compelling over the years but can’t say I will really miss them.

If the AAC had managed to been able build itself up more, I’d have been content staying in it. In my mind we’re as at home in an eastern urban conference as a Texas/Plains one (if only that urban conference included Miami, Pitt, Louisville, and so on…)

The money, fan support, and competitive differentials were just way too much. I remember when Aresco was taking his shot and the AAC and Big 12 were in the scrum, what kept me grounded was “There is no way a conference with Tulsa beats a conference with Oklahoma State.”

I’m definitely looking forward to facing off with Texas Tech and our other SWC rivals, but also definitely feeling the cultural divide (esp with the Big 8 leftovers).

1 Like

good riddance to Temple and East Carolina

wouldn’t mind Tulsa, Tulane, SMU on the schedule occasionally just because they are regional

Indifferent towards Navy, South Florida and Memphis

1 Like

Temple when Temple was good had something going for it. Hard school to maintain success though.

I went to the game last year and it was one of the most dead game experiences I’ve ever experienced. They’ve had decent draws when good, but their fanbase is more fickle than ours.

As a program they are hindered by the city’s indifference. Apparently any time they try to build something the city won’t get on board.

1 Like

Southern Miss. I loved to hate them. Too bad they got left behind.

4 Likes