The AP Preseason Poll is out - #15

Starting at #15. Memphis is #12.

Preseason Poll

1 Like

UT is too high.

We should invert those rankings by season end.

1 Like

Texas is absolutely loaded and now has a coach

That’s what they say about football every year too…. Maybe Beard will turn it around but to me UT just has a horrible culture in basketball and football…. They seem to think teams are supposed to be in awe of them when they show up.

5 Likes

I think 15 is showing the Coogs a lot of respect when you are an outsider looking at UH all you see is what we’ve lost, key players/leaders/contributors no longer with the program.

7 Likes

Beat Virginia, win the Maui and beat Bama we will be in the top 5.

Rick Barnes and Shaka Smart were good coaches as well. Also if you dig through their past rosters they’ve always been talented. Just look at all the guys they put in the NBA over the last decade plus. Not saying Beard can’t do better than his predecessors but coaching prowess and talent havent been the issue, imo.

2 Likes

15 feels just about right

2 Likes

I don’t know how y’all can appreciate AP voters acknowledging our roster changes with upgraded talent and upper tier coaching staff then scoff at those voters acknowledging UT for having more talent and a upper tier coaching staff. Things will shake out over the course of the season. Whether UT remains up high or falls is contingent on a number of unforeseen things but at the outset they at least have the ingredients in place to do pretty well just like we do.

2 Likes

The pollsters still cannot factor in the “Penny Factor” !

2 Likes

It will interesting to see what Beard can do with all that talent. Wish we played them

1 Like

Baylor may be getting TOO MUCH respect after losing four starters including two All-Americans.

One could say the same about us.

Its fun and games where you’re ranked at the beginning. But the EOS ranking is the real world.

There are some benefits to being ranked early though.

1 Like

Not to quite the same extent though. We lost one AA as compared to two, and didn’t lose four starters.

Agree on Baylor. They have special to replace and the heart/sole of their team.

I don’t see it. I mean, I do, but a lot of teams are in that position. We’re replacing an AA and 3 starters and got our highest preseason rank in school history. I don’t follow Baylor, so I don’t know how they did in the transfer portal, but I think a lot of people expect a Scott Drew team to be good.

Now…Texas and Duke I don’t get. Sure raw talent, but no proof that those guys can play at this level. We got a lot of college transfers and known commodities.

They’re a Nike school the should be able to replace the soles no issues there. Sorry I know that was a simple mistake, but it was right there for the taking.

2 Likes

They’re picked rt in line w UH. Same situation , lots of new bodies to count on. That’s when you arrived when you’re still ranked in Top 20 due to respected program n good recruits. Both Baylor n UH has shown thst over last 4-5 yrs. Baylor even little larger window.

They were the best team last year by a mile. They still have plenty of talent coming back, add in the Arizona transfer, and two big recruits. Plus they held onto CSD. That’s no worse than a T-20 team. I think they’ll finish higher than Texas does next year.