The Chris Pezman UH Firing Fallout — Kelvin Sampson Needs to be the First

If these details are true, this move makes sense

9 Likes

Good read. Thanks for posting.

Strong asz writing. Damn! That’s big city sports writing.

2 Likes

So am I reading this correctly? Kelvin Sampson will be named AD, with Kellen taking over the basketball program?

Nice.

2 Likes

It was interesting CKS ventured over to the football topic, but he is a straight BB coach, the idea of AD over all sports men/women, fundraising, NIL, alumni and corporate sponsors does not seem to be his thing.

1 Like

i love sampson and the fanboy in us wants say yes… but this is a terrible idea in the context of the program needs

we need a fund raiser/NIL guy… that isnt sampson , plus sampson is loyal, and you need an AD thats a bit cut throat

we need some with ties to brands and the wealthy, someone that that smooze with the rich and brown nose millions out of them, or some really creative in the media space to create unique revenue opportunities

5 Likes

Maybe I mis-read the article. The way I interpreted it was that Sampson should be included in the search/hiring process. I don’t think he is recommending that Sampson become the next AD.

12 Likes

Yup, I didn’t see anything suggesting that he’s advocating for Sampson as AD. No way would he want that job.

4 Likes

no one reads… smh

i was referring to the comments that were talking about the possibility of him being the AD but not a big deal lol

You can all bury your heads if you want but the article clearly states, in black and white, and in no uncertain terms (if you read between the lines) that Kelvin will be AD.

3 Likes

Was it this quote?

“ University of Houston president Renu Khator and billionaire believer Tilman Fertitta must lean on Kelvin Sampson to find the right athletic director to lead the school into the future”

I think it was this one:

“ University of Houston president Renu Khator and billionaire believer Tilman Fertitta must hire Kelvin Sampson as the athletic director to lead the school into the future”

2 Likes

Sounds like a mixed message. Saying one thing in one paragraph and another later in the article. Personally, I believe Sampson is a not only a great coach, but he is a great leader. Not all great leaders are the same. I don’t think he has the temperament to be an AD. He’s not political enough.

1 Like

I don’t believe that CKS has the slightest interest in being AD.

8 Likes

I think it’s less then zero. I think he’s be great at it, but yeah negative interest in the position.

Kelvin Sampson’s next gig is full time grandpa. He’s made abundantly clear his dislike of anything that isn’t coaching or teaching.

2 Likes

Thats… a very weird read of this article

You mean a SALESMAN/FUNDRAISER.

Sampsons universe is small, As BB coach he pretty much controls everything within that circle of men’s BB. I don’t think he wants he AD job. There are too many uncertain variables to contend with as AD.

3 Likes