The Go Go’s make the Rock and Roll Hall

David Bowie’s take on this.

Mydolls - one of the early punk bands in Houston starting in '78 - 3 of the 4 were women.

They were also in the film, Paris, Texas.

Just sampled a bit of that…without any context I would have mistaken them for the Ting-Tings.

1 Like

The r&r hof is a joke. I don’t dispute the Go-Go’s being in, but some of the acts that are… it’d be like putting Babe Ruth in the basketball hof, Michael Jordan in the ice hockey hof, Gordie Howe in the football hof, Peyton Manning in the baseball hof…

I still have their 7" & 12" vinyl in my collection. I forgot the drummer was a guy. Sorry Jorge!

I’d pick KV’s Blue Bonnets as the best former Go5 member band. They were playing regularly up until covid, hope they start up again soon.

I think the Rock n Roll HOF covers all popular music. Would you keep Stevie Wonder out just because he is not technically Rock and Roll? Here is the statement for RnR Hof, "primary function is “to recognize the contributions of those who have had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll .” i guess that leaves it pretty open and is why rap and country acts get in the HOF.

Don’t call it the r&r hof then, call it the pop music hof.

Pop Music Hall of Fame doesn’t do it justice. So many diversified solo artists and acts enshrined. Going to have to do some thinking on that. Here’s the list for those curious.

But pop music is rock n Roll.

No, rock & roll is pop music; as are blues, country, jazz, rap, hip hop, etc. The music my parents listened to, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, big bands and orchestras were pop music. That doesn’t make them rock & roll. I like rock & roll more than any other genre, but I know it’s not the only popular music that exists, and there was popular music before rock & roll came along.

Rock and Roll changed Pop. The 50s started it but the Beatles sealed the deal. Pop is rock based. They had to create easy listening lol

So Lawrence Welk’s music was rock based? I thought pop was short for popular, not the sound of a champagne bottle opening! :thinking:

Lawrence Welch was pop and so lame. Rock and Roll changed what pop is. America Bandstand and MTV became pop.
Also you might be confusing Rock and Roll with Rock. Rock and Roll started when Bill Hayley, Presley, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino brought the backbeat into popular music. The Beatles proved it was here to stay and pop music has never looked back. Rock is a great part of rock n roll. I think the HOF does it right.

1 Like

When I grew up everything was rock n roll. Elvis’ Beach Boys, Beatles, Motown, 4 Seasons, Du Wop were all part of the great stew.

Corporate radio screwed the pooch segmenting it. Yes, I considered Stevie The Wonder Boy rock. When he was a child that was his stage name

I blame Lawrence Welk for ruining big band music. Fortunately, I was exposed to the real stuff when I joined the band at Hartman Junior High. The band teacher, Mr. Watkins, knew his stuff.

Charlotte Caffey