The Houston Men Might Break 31-Year Power Five Win Streak At NCAA Outdoors

The Houston men finished seventh overall in the team standings at the 2018 NCAA Indoor Championships with 26 total points, 20 of which came from Eli Hall’s impressive 60/200 sweep. But don’t expect the Cougars to be anywhere near the bottom of the top 10 this outdoor season. In fact, the Houston men are legitimate outdoor team title contenders for three reasons.

I don’t know a lot about track and the differences between indoor and outdoor as far as events and the number of athletes that can compete during the NCAA championship meet. So can some one explain why we are anticipated to do so much better in the outdoor championship?

We have a full team for the outdoor events…not sure how that works but each player is only qualified for so many indoor meets per year, and several of our studs like Burrell did not make this one…

Sure thing:

1. We get Cam Burrell and Brian Barraza back for outdoor. Both had used up their indoor eligibility, but had redshirted an outdoor season in the past. Burrell might be the favorite in the 100m and should help the 4x100 be one of the top two teams. Barraza should be able to score in some of the longer races.

2. Outdoor season events that aren’t in the indoor:

• 100m instead of 60m
  • 110m Hurdles instead of 60m Hurdles
  • Decathalon instead of heptathalon
  • 4x100 meter relay
  • 10,000 meter run
  • 400 meter hurdle race
  • javelin throw
  • hammer throw
  • discus
  • 3,000 meter steeplechase.
  1. Our sprinters tend to do better on longer tracks. Same for our hurdlers as Amere Lattin is one of the better college hurdlers, but tends to start slower; he’ll also have two chances to score (110m and 400m hurdles).

Thanks for the education. I was not aware that there was a limit on the number of indoor meets an athlete can compete in. That seems to be an odd restriction. Also I did not realize that there were so many events in outdoor. I realized some were longer, 100 v 60 meter,s but did not know there were so many more events.

1 Like