The Houston vs Duke Matchup

Nice !

1 Like

touche…

1 Like

We’ve already played two games against a team that had Kansas emblazoned on their chests. i don’t think the word Duke will bother them. I’m more worried about the officials that might be more in awe of the Duke jerseys.

3 Likes

I do get the Kansas feeling fron this matchup. Hope it looks more like the Ferritita center than Allen field house

5 Likes

Nothing to nitpick about this one. Great breakdown Pesik.

I like this matchup for our Coogs.

An X factor for s the will be a house party playing in front of our fans on 4 days rest. Let’s make this like ISU did in the conference tournament championship.

3 Likes

I like our chances, IF the refs let the teams play. I’m less confident against Duke if the game becomes an FT shooting contest.

I know we overcame A&M with four players fouling out, but I don’t like the odds, if our starters are playing with foul trouble, which takes away their aggressiveness.

Yeah, Aggie got to the line a lot but couldn’t shoot. But Duke isn’t going to miss FT’s. If it goes to FT’s it’s a problem.

2 Likes

some predicitons

field of 68 all 3 pick duke (abot 5 minutes talking about it)

reasons for each 1) great offensve beats great defense, 2) thinks dukes bigs are way better than ours 3) duke is hot

1 picks Duke- doesnt like that how UH has so few shots at the rim, thinks flip can pass out of our traps
1 picks Houston- Duke has never seen a fist fight like houston

cbs spends 4minutes hyping up duke, then picks houston lol

4 Likes

How do we see the rebound battle going heading into this game?

i think the final number will be close, but both teams will get offensive rebounds

we will get a ton from out muscling and out toughing them, its not something you can pick up overnight …they will get some just becuase they are tall… at some point we will likely go small in the game too… itll be jwan 6’7 vs 7fter for rebounds

1 Like

It’s certainly possible, but I don’t think it’ll come to that given the extremes of Houston’s high foul rate per possession and A&M’s elite level of drawing fouls.

The metrics absolutely played out to the expected outcome.

No surprise, between recency bias of Duke looking awesome and us looking less awesome (regardless of game plans, refs, etc), and Duke getting the Duke bonus they’re going to be the sexy upset pick.

I think we’ll know what type of game we’re dealing with pretty quick. If they come out on fire nailing fast passes and 3’s it’s going to be a tough game.

2 Likes

Especially if the refs want to stay involved.

Fo68’s Fanta went all in on Duke’s performance against JMU and our high foul rate on the Ags. Duke’s win against JMU was very impressive, but it’s not an indicator of things to come based off the most recent performance.

im not as worried about the FTs this game …

question for everyone, if we came up with a game plan to have LJ to go out there and just draw a lot of fouls and get to the FT line a bunch, and have him get them in foul trouble… no one here would be high on that plan… because that just isnt LJs game… LJ gets to the line way more than McCain and proctor… they arent going to become physical drivers overnight, nor do i think they will try

Filipowski is good at drawing fouls unlike the guards especially 1 on 1… and i see it going 1 of two ways… the trap scares him from shooting and we wont be in foul trouble, or he tries to force shots through the the double team, and then he is likely is shooting low percentages IMO (like the scrimmage) even if he drawing some fouls and as long as we can trap him, the need for francis this game isnt as significant because they rely on 3s …ramon & lath are fine as long as they are harrasing him …also Filipowski is only a 66% ft shooter… it wont be the guards FT shooting

while they could get to the line some, i dont think itll be anywhere where itll be game defining

13 Likes

Fanta take is that of someone who only values offense… he went on about their bigs being so much better… jwan/francis is not that far off from flip/mitchell in a college game …many might even prefer our bigs

2 Likes

I don’t get where the “Duke is hot” narrative comes from. Duke lost the final game of the season to UNC and then lost their opening game of the ACC tournament to NCST. Yes they have won their first 2 tournament games but so has everyone in the sweet 16. And their 2 tournament games have been vs 13 Vermont and 12 James Madison. I’ve heard several talking heads say this and I just don’t get it

14 Likes

7 Likes

I love it. Ohh look what they did to Vermont and JMU. I don’t think they compare to playing our Coogs. Time for a rude awakening

another podcast preview, this one is kinda long 25 mins

less xandos more “boys talk” kinda podcast

debating our toughness and duke in relation
can we guard flip
which guards are better

i dont agree with most of their points but entertaining listen (ie we are trapping flip all game, the debate of if anyone one player can guard im makes no sense)