The Matt Thomas Show

…and the other is going to Texas A&M and he has mentioned he would be lucky to have his daughter go to UT.

He is a big enough UH supporter but I get thar feeling he believes UH is below his children.

Of course they have to make their own decision but nobody with a head screwed on would pick Texas Tech over the University of Houston…his son did.

3 Likes

Get em’ Rick !
Go Coogs …fangs Out !

1 Like

That’s a bit much.

I graduated from UH and both my kids grew up going to several UH events every year.
My son would have loved to go to UH but he got offered nice chunk of scholarship to play baseball somewhere else.
My daughter was considering UH, Arizona, and Ole Miss…. Probably favored UH…. She was offered scholarship money that paid for almost all of her school and pre-accepted to Arizona School of Pharmacology…. She is now in Tucson.

Am I a bad Coog because my kids both wound up somewhere else?

Kids should be allowed to choose where they go without having their parents cram it down their throats.

I don’t hold that against MT at all…. I know many of you have seen him at several games over the years including this one…
But sure, let’s eat our own……typical

11 Likes

The sense I’ve gotten from him about his 3 children is that he has heavily persuaded them NOT to consider the University of Houston as a realistic option

It really doesnt matter where his kids get their Art History degree from. They will still be unemployables

It just drives home a bigger point…suburban kids from educated parents "typically " don’t consider UH when deciding which college to attend.

The point is, if Matt Thomas, a public figure who constantly mentions that UH is the greatest school ever, can’t even at least convince his children to put UH on their short list- who can?

But yes…his children can make their own decision and UH was not considered.

We’ve talked a lot about creating a more traditional college atmosphere that is a destination University full of the "type " of student that wants to add to the culture.

2 Likes

For a school (UH) often derided by some (but, of course, not all) UT/A&M/Other fans as being nothing more than “Cougar High,” some of these folks spend an awful lot of time talking about us. :grin:

“Lions” are not supposed to be concerned with the opinions of “sheep.”

Image from: society6.com

3 Likes

Now you are bagging on his kids…… way to stay classy…

This is not based at you UH1927…… I disagree with you but I respect your viewpoint….

My response was pointed at Ima

2 Likes

That’s how it always has been when it comes to city schools here

I know folks who went to UH and TSU when no one else would let them in but they graduated and moved out and lived well as a result. Time to reciprocate that for the kids? It’s like we did something wrong to ask.

Living in the outer burbs - it’s like it’s an issue to promote UH cause they spend so much time trying to justify how great college station or Austin is supposedly a destination city.

But I knew kids who went to UH in the burbs out of HS but was almost ashamed to admit it or they spent so much time away to act like their numbing themselves.

These radio folks in Houston are notorious for that as some barely spent a semester at their dream school but will rep it for life. Then you have folks like ND Kalu kinda devalue his own rice experience or laugh about it when that other guy talks up LSU.

I hate when they let those producers get air time as they tend want to take over and oddly none of them are local grads

1 Like

All I’m saying is that it is a missed opportunity to get the type of student we repeatedly discuss in this forum- one that wants to be active in college life.

Those type of students opt for other schools, which was my point, BUT we have made major strides in the last 20 years…we just aren’t there yet.

1 Like

Got to get in power positions in suburban areas - having power in the loop or beltway isn’t what it used to be unfortunately

Newer generations of UH grads (within the last 10-15yrs) are showing much more pride about graduating from UH than any previous generation going back to the 70s maybe. That is my observation as I sit on the board of one of the alumni associations at UH. No representation from my generation.

7 Likes

Are we all listening to the same show?? I mean I roll my eyes when it happens, but it always seemed to me like Ross went in on UH to get a reaction out of MT. Especially back before this season when we weren’t doing to hot in Football. Ross knows better than to go back in forth in Coogs basketball with Matt. I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal honestly. Both those guys put on the most entertaining show in Houston Sports Radio on a daily basis.

2 Likes

AM Radio?

2 Likes

Precisely they realize we are not sheep, they know we are vociferous about who and what we are. That infuriates some of their alumni (who the hell they think they are mentality) we know who we are. A great university and getting greater each year going forward in one of the most dynamic cities on the face of this planet. Just some folks who been part of this University seem reluctant to embrace this line of thinking because of collective low self esteem I believe of some, not all. Fortunately this University has been and is being led by lions and not sheep. It’s all part of the rivalry landscape to denigrate your rivals. I get it. We do the same to TT, Memphis.

I don’t have time to name UH alums who have sent their kids to other universities for various reasons. And many of those alums are huge supporters of our Coogs. Obviously there are reasons some kids would want to go elsewhere, but when UH supporters advise their kids not to attend our great University then I have a problem…

1 Like

I listen to the show almost everyday and I can assure you MT gives Ross hell when UT loses in Football or any other sport. They go back and forth. I swear, some of you find every little thing to b***h about. They can’t flood their airwaves with UH only talk. Listen to a UH specific podcast if you’re upset about coverage.

6 Likes

Actually that was “bagging” on anyone with an Art History degree. Who knows, maybe they will be lawyers instead and quite employable.

1 Like

Monday was great, I only listened to a little but Matt keep circling back to the Kansas game.

1 Like

100%. It’s all part of their banter. It’s a fun show and I love it. If you really doubt MT’s love for UH, maybe you should talk with him. I have. Some of you really need to get a grip and lighten up.

And guess what, if my son decides to not go to UH, do you know what I’m going to do? I’m going to pay for it. It doesn’t make me or him less of a Coog fan.

7 Likes