The Most Offensive Team Nicknames in Every Sport

South Carolina gamecocks

Lol

2 Likes

LOL!! Knew exactly what it was.

Irish Catholic here. I think I have the right to be offended like everyone else:

But like my sainted Dad use to say, just because its a stereotype doesn’t mean its not true. Live with it you hooligans.

4 Likes

I picked cotton in my youth. That was the cash crop back in the day. I earned approximately $5 a day and was able to pay for my school clothes and supplies. I worked for a neighboring farmer. The people that were hard off were the children of the farmer. Most of them did not receive anything. Many had to miss the first month of school to work in the fields for their family.

1 Like

More info:

Hairy bearded gay men should be appalled with Baylor!

1 Like

They were losing to Michigan then a player said, your not fighting and your mostly Irish then they won and the nickname stuck. Back then ND was mostly Irish Catholic on the football field.

Before the cotton gin was invented?

Same here
heard the stories of picking ( or easier pulling) cotton many times.
Miss hearing those stories now. The phrase “cotton picker” or “wait a cotton picking minute” are part of my family history.

Nevertheless, the term in the 1800s, in this country, probably referred mostly to Black Americans and in a non-complementary way. In the 1900s, probably mostly the same, but less than
maybe nearly 100% Black Americans as the prior century.

If a group can make a halfway logical argument of why they find it offensive , I’m inclined
to accept that reasoning. It doesn’t invoke much of an emotional response to me either, even
with a family history of it literally applying. Maybe my 30 year old self would have been upset
by people being upset over the term.

But as you say, context is everything. But ask yourself how many times have you heard the term “cotton pickers” used in a complementary way when applied to a group of people ?

1 Like

From the link on the Notre Dame website:

Quote: Whelan traced the history of the “Fighting Irish” sobriquet past the celebrated football teams coached by Knute Rockne in the 1920s to the carnage of the American Civil War, during which three Notre Dame priests, including Rev. William Corby, C.S.C., served as chaplains to the 69th New York Infantry, also known as the Irish Brigade.

I wonder when they will go after the cotton and sugar bowl names.

Thank you; I’ll put that on tomorrow’s agenda.

UPDATE: The committee meet on an emergency basis and determined the
term “product-commodity-name Bowl” did not apply to groups of people and thus
can continue in perpetuity. The Union is saved. Carry on, Christian soldiers.

Might be a direct correlation with the recent additions to the Coogfans user ids 

Yeah, These days everybody seems to be offended by everything. I was taught as a child to “live and let live” and “turn the other cheek”

I laughed a little too hard at Rhode Island School of Design “Nads”. The hockey logo is priceless.

To think I grew up as a Westbury Rebel (class of 1987) and the school waved the Confederate flag. :man_facepalming:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/best-and-worst-college-mascots/

We’re #6 best

Nobody cares about the history, only how the name offends today. Therefore I am offended and they should be forced to change the name something that does not offend me.

1 Like

And Shasta is 4th sexiest mascot in the country!

I’m most offended by TCU’s mascot. Stop calling it a frog, its a damn lizard! Show lizards some respect

I’m surprise that no college team is call the ROMANS

How did we miss the most embarrassing of all? Being named after a condom.

1 Like