The New Big Story…The Alliance

Kirk Herbstreit says he can see College Football soon becoming 4 Super Conferences of 16 teams each, which split from The NCAA and hire their own Commissioner.

The Alliance clearly makes that a possibility.

And there are no remnant 8 Big 12 schools involved.

Read the tea leaves. There are 8 memberships available.

The end of CFB. No one will care. Even the NFL is somewhat regional. This cartoon of ‘blue bloods’ will be even less relevant

1 Like

I heard a caller opine on ESPNU radio that the “Alliance” could be nothing more than an agreement to not expand so as to mitigate further disruption.

It’s not a totally crazy idea and if that’s the case, it’s over. That means we’re left out, for good. Then it’s either we drop football or play in some kind of sub league. I hope I’m wrong.

The new TV contracts in 2024-2025 will settle this.

CBS will go hard after The PAC 12 once they lose The SEC. Thus CBS could propose a larger footprint with more eyeballs and larger $money for all.

Houston and DFW are sitting pretty as to TV viewers. 15 million and steadily growing,

Johnny, the Alliance can create a handful of games at least 4 million watch. That is the purpose. They don’t need to expand (raid each other) or worry about travelling their lacrosse team across the country. Play a few football games, add a shitload of value. Georgia is playing Clemson Week 1, so the ACC and SEC already see the value in this.

People would watch Oregon vs Ohio State or USC vs PSU.