The Real Reason Houston Beat Auburn in Birmingham Bowl /The Oilers "MOJO"

Comments are a must read

7 Likes

That guy is awesome! The team gets a big kick out of him and they love when he does his stunts.

13 Likes

Is that Mojo Jr? (Obscure Houston Oilers reference for those of a certain age)

6 Likes

His name is BIG HAWK.

7 Likes

his antics are a copy of mojos

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ol_timefootball/status/1095517245235650560?lang=en

4 Likes

It’s funny how the Oiler players basically don’t even acknowledge him. :joy:

Bill Lackey died at at early age. The Drs asked him to stop which he finally did.

Over a thousand attendees at the funeral of an assistant equipment manager tells you how the players regarded him.

Also this, from the LA Times article above: Lineman Bruce Matthews, a first-round draft pick from USC in 1983, put it into perspective by saying, “When I joined the team, I had heard of two people there–Earl Campbell and Mojo.”

7 Likes

I wasn’t really making a conclusion based off of one clip. It just made me laugh. Cool story to see that he had such an impact though.

2 Likes

10-4 Good Buddy :+1:

SampsonCoachingTree what a great article. Thank you,

Only fitting that a special human being be written about by one of the very best sports writers Bill Plaschke.

1 Like

MLK Day reflection: HAWK edition

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.” - Martin Luther King

2 Likes

Damn! That’s an old school ASTROturf slide!!! Commitment!

that videos been viewed 700,000+ times since December 28th… thats pretty impressive.

1 Like

I went to Texas A&I for the 78/79 school year. I remember Mojo doing his thing kicking tee thing for the Javelinas. My family had Oilers season tickets from 1960 until the end, and I saw him in 79 doing it for the Oilers. He was a dang institution in Kingsville and Houston.

Give the fine young man some love Coog nation:

https://twitter.com/bighawk68/status/1484741080126046211

5 Likes