The really amazing thing about this team and program

Is how hard they play. I can’t remember any team in any sport that I could say that night in and night out without any exception they out work and out hustle the competition. Yes defense and rebounding is the fundamental building block of this team and the fundamental building block of defense and rebounding is hustle and desire and willingness to sacrifice your body and your scoring stats to the team’s success.

Getting a group of 18-22 year old athletes who are used to being the star of their team to focus on defense and rebounding is like getting a group of 4 and 5 star running backs and WR’s to be primary blockers. It is really hard.

Kelvin Sampson, I bow to what ever it is that you are doing.

10 Likes

They do play hard, and it’s contagious.

Sampson will immediately put you on the bench if you’re not selling out, and it doesn’t matter who you are or how many points you’ve scored. These guys are passionate about playing, competing and winning, so time on the floor is a powerful incentive.

4 Likes

The depth on this team is PSJesque.

That and the teamwork is what impresses me the most. There is no one player that has to carry this team.

No offense to LSU, Oregon or Utah State but this team hasn’t been really really tested yet, unless you want to count UTRGV :flushed:. I do like our chances though :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I have said for a couple of years now that CKS & staff are our MVP’s!

2 Likes

On the vast majority of our player post game interviews our players give CKS & the staff so much credit for their development! I believe they know if they follow CKS plan it will lead to success!

1 Like

I saw a quote from CKS, maybe from one of JD’s articles in the Houston Chronicle, but the gist of the quote was, we don’t discuss or negotiate effort. We demand effort from the kids.

CKS has said from Day One, if a kid wants to play for him, then the player must play with great effort and hustle on defense, rotate, help out his teammates, and rebound the basketball. I have not heard CKS talk much about offense. The most I have heard from him is, we will run our offense, share the basketball, and the kids will take open shots…when the shots go in, great; when the shots don’t fall, we will go rebound the basketball and try again. It sounds simple, and it is. It is a winning formula.

Go Coogs. Peace.

2 Likes

I’ve heard him say that (we don’t negotiate effort) in post-game interviews several times.

1 Like

Agreed. Watching this team I’m struck by how hard they play, and how much effort they put in, especially on defense. I get the feeling that if you don’t give full effort on defense for CKS you will find yourself on the bench in no time.

2 Likes