The recruiting narrative has sure changed

They can’t use “how long will your coach be there” any longer.

If we get football operations building built, that would be the last piece to the puzzle.

4 Likes

Why can’t that question be asked? Every coach can leave if someone pays the contract. Especially in a G5 conference. Holgerson could leave in 2 years if he goes 8-4. “We fire coaches who go 8-4 - Renu”. Holgerson could go 9-3 or better and another P5 will come poach him.

2 Likes

He won’t leave for another job.

That would be a big surprise if he didn’t, but if he is highly successful, I hope you are right.

USC

Well that didn’t take long.

Holgorsen hasn’t even had his introductory press conference and he’s already being called a lifer by Coogfans…

4 Likes

UH needs another new building for sports?

1 Like

Always a possibility, but I think it’s what our narrative is now. “Give us 2 successful years and you’ll get big names calling you to move on. Give us 2 mediocre and we will move on from you just the same.”

Football operations building? First time I’ve heard of this. What purpose will it serve other than what the name implies?

2 Likes

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves with how long he will stay. #JustWinBaby I’ll trade championships and big bowl games for a couple down years.

1 Like

Yea has been on all the “future plans”. I think it’s just to make the gap more pleasing to the eye.

I certainly wouldn’t call him a lifer. Anyone will leave for a better opportunity or more money. But I think there are only 20 schools paying their coaches a base salary of $4 million or more. Low and mid tier programs won’t be able to afford to pay more than we are. The staggeringly high salary will buy a lot of stability.

3 Likes
1 Like

Doubt he’s a lifer but circumstances will probably keep him here for a while even if he does well. There aren’t a lot of schools in between “Too elite to hire him” “Not good enough for him to leave Houston.”