The Travel Thread

How was that with the terrorist attack?

We drove. The English countryside is really nice once you get out in it. But on our first trip we stayed for over two weeks and spent like a day or two in towns slowly traveling our way up to the Highlands and back to London. Last time we flew into Manchester and stayed in Keswick (Lake District) then drove up to Lochinver on the northwest Scottish coast. Yes, I do recommend Edinburgh though we actually like Glasgow a little more. Edinburgh is kind of touristy but there are some great things to see there like Edinburgh Castle. But they’re only like 40 miles apart so it’s easy to see both.

1 Like

My travel tip, don’t travel during school holidays (summer, xmas). Cheaper when its off season. Missing a couple of weeks of school isn’t a big deal.

Heading to Maui for the first time next month.

3 Likes

See if you can get reservations at Fleetwood’s. It’s owned by Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac. IIRC The food was really good.

Any fishermen/women been to Cabo lately? Been a while and my previous charters no longer exist. Anybody with a recommendation?

I love talking travel!

I’ve been to 40 out of the 50 states, so still some work to do there.

Internationally I’ve been to:
Mexico
Canada
Japan
Singapore
Dubai
Switzerland
Ireland
Spain
France
Germany
England
The Netherlands
Brazil

Going to Italy in October (Rome and Positano)

1 Like

I have been to every major city and most of the minor cities in the United States.

Favorites: Chicago and San Francisco back in the day, Not sure now. New Orleans back in the day but definitely not now. Washington DC.

Didn’t like: LA.

Cities that should be talked about more but aren’t:
Philadelphia, Boston.

Cities that are talked about a-lot that probably shouldn’t be. San Diego, Seattle, Denver, Miami. Much ado about nothing,

Cities that will surprise because they don’t suck at all. Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Cities I am surprised I don’t feel much of anything about: New York, Dallas.

Favorite American Cities:

DC
San Francisco
San Diego
Miami
New Orleans

I’ve been to most states 40.
seen
england
belgium
holland
germany
austria
italy
Israel
croatia
slovakia
slovenia
greece
spain
portugal
luxembourg
switzerland
france
mexico
jamaica
bahamas
belize
honduras
guatemala
costa rica
panama
cayman
trinidad
dominican republic
haiti
BVI
antigua
martinique
st martin
barbados
st kitts
st lucia
brazil
uraguay
peru
colombia
argentina
montenegro
and mexico
does puerto rico and USVI need their own mention?

haven’t touched asia, australia or africa yet

just travelled to venice and greece for thier respective easter weekends, it was great. Greek island of corfu is a place i would recommend, often overlooked.
Was in Brazil last week, são paulo, Brasilia and Florianopolis

3 Likes

I absolutely agree. I have two. One for business expenses and one for personal expenses. Pay for everything with the rewards card I try to get everything on there. One time I was able to pay my wives car note with a credit card. That went away :frowning: . The key is that you have to be very good at paying things off at the end of the month, like completely, or its not worth it.

We rack up so many points that I don’t pay for hotel or flights anymore and sometimes we pay for extended family to come with us. These points are earned on expenses we would of had anyway, gas, electric etc… Another perk hidden perk of owning a business is the shear amount of points you can rack up for just paying your expenses with a card, just like personal card, but on a different magnitude scale.

Road to Hana!

1 Like

Pretty depressing. I was literally a hundred yards from the Olympic village throwing a frisbee. People in Europe hadn’t seen a Frisbee and we drew a crowd. It was getting dark and I started to head to this church where I was staying. I wasn’t allowed to cross the main road through the Olympic Park. I had to walk all the way around the Olympic village. I noticed the Village entrances now had soldiers with M-16s and German Shepherds.

When I arrived at the church, all the folks were glad I was okay. I didn’t realize the severity of the situation. We, as a group, sat all evening watching what these scumbag PLO did.

The next day, all events were cancelled. The following day was the memorial service. I decided to sell off all my remaining tickets including the closing ceremonies and leave town. I had developed a pretty solid scalping business started out of necessity since I arrived with no tickets. After I finished selling I went back to the Olympic Park… Somehow I ended up in the Olympic Committee box for the memorial service. Truly a Forrest Gump moment.

Left after the ceremony and headed to Austria. I was 19 years old and travelling solo.

2 Likes

I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.

Just in the last month, I have been to Montreal, Jackson (MS), Vegas, and San Diego. Looking forward to a solid month of not traveling. But my goal is to visit at least 40 states, 20 countries, and everything of significance in Texas by the time I turn 40. I’m at 27 states (not counting airports or a road trip when I was like 3 years old), 8 countries, and most of Texas seen. I have also been to 15 states in Mexico, but only 1 province of Canada (twice).

Wow, great story

1 Like

That’s the Reader’s Digest version. Actually ended up on Munich TV while scalping tickets.

1 Like

Been to Edinburgh quite a few times in the early 2000’s. Neat city and the Castle is worth visiting. Buildings or apartments/hotels are considered new if they were built after 1900. On a side note, was there in 2002, so took a side trip to the Ryder Cup at the Belfry in England. Great time was had even though US lost.

I agree about Philadelphia. I like their downtown. I’m not a fan of Pittsburgh though.

1 Like

I’ve been to Israel twice, and am leading a group there this Fall (end of October-early November). I’ve been to Peru, Germany, the UK, Greece and Rome (all within the past ten years;; I wasn’t able to travel internationally before that). But there’s nothing quite like the Holy Land.

We still have room in our group, if anyone here is interested. PM me for details. We have an outstanding Israeli guide and the tour company’s rates are more reasonable than most.

It was a pretty cool trip to see some of the places mentioned in the bible and see how small an area it is.

1 Like