Tilman now in more serious talks about bringing NHL to Houston

Dang, more crap to go up against our basketball season.
:rage:

And if the Houston NHL team is doing well, less fans attending our basketball games.
:rage:

Come on now.

College basketball and the NHL are very different fan bases.

Very little overlap in markets.

The NHL won’t interfere with UH basketball any more than the Dallas Stars would compete with SMU or TCU basketball.

1 Like

Good question. They inhabit this area, if we’re keeping score

2 Likes

I don’t think just calling them WHA Aeros would make a difference. Its the Aeros part for hockey that would be a problem. Besides, I’m sure fans would prefer them called the Houston Aeros rather than WHA Aeros as the WHA is meaningless and been gone for 40+ years.

Yea. There might be some overlap but I wouldn’t think it would be significant, especially if we continue to be successful. Plus who knows how many games would actually conflict in a given year.

The fact that we sell out with the Rockets just blocks away tells us that the fan bases are different.

2 Likes

The Aeros are the Iowa Wild now, so I don’t think there would be any roadblocks to naming the Houston team the Aeros. However, I don’t think the NHL would do that well in Houston over time.

1 Like

The Houston Oilers are the Tennessee Titans now and we couldn’t even wear their colors without getting a cease and desist.

Bud Adams isn’t involved in the deal but who knows how the Minnesota Wild owner would react.

2 Likes

Too completely different, emotional, petty situations.

While true, you never know. Someone owns that name and can do with it as they wish.

Weren’t the Aeros “The Aeros” before being affiliated with Minnesota? That’s different than Bud Adams, who built the Oilers.

That’s discussed above.

No desire read through the thread.

Lol, ok. I don’t have the desire to repeat what’s already been said.

I asked it, making the point that they already were.

The Minnesota Wild own the name.

I think y’all are making this name thing out to be more than it is. Maybe they would have to pay a fee, maybe not. But the Oilers situation isn’t even close to being the same situation.

1 Like

The Houston Ice-stros is the obvious choice.

2 Likes

I’m assuming with extreme prejudice.

The best mascot for any new Houston franchise is Red Snapper

1 Like