Tipping

I’m getting some Reservoir Dogs vibes here. lol

1 Like

I tip my Sports Clips stylist $10. Most stylists are independent contractors, so any additional money they receive is appreciated.

2 Likes

I had a plumber come to do work at the office and he had a fancy iphone app payment system, it had a tip button on it, and I was shamed into giving him one. When did we start tipping plumbers?

2 Likes

I normally tip service people working for companies if they do a great job… I know it should be built in but I’d rather tip these kinds of folks, hardworking but underpaid, than blindly donate to a lot of the big charities/non-profits where lawyers and executives are getting nice paychecks…

Since we are talking about it…

If I stay at a hotel that only offers valet parking and charges $47 a night for that, is there an expectation for me to tip the people who retrieve my vehicle?

3 Likes

Of course you are, it’s like mlm, it’s hard to say no when you’re facing someone directly.

Just thinking out loud.

How many of you tip the guy bartender a buck and the gal bartender 5 bucks.

Just thinking out loud.

1 Like

I quit drinking 6.5 years ago… I tip both sexes $5 on the first coke I drink if I’m out at a club and that’s it since I don’t use any of their time anymore…

I used to tip FAT… And I found out that most places would comp me as many drinks as I was tipping the bartender… :wink:

I learned early on…when at a club or bar I would ask my pretty wife to get us the drinks…specially if the bar tender was male. I could stand there for half an hour and get ignored…she’d walk up and dudes be falling all over themselves to serve her. She didn’t mind doing it…and almost after 30 years of marriage, that’s still our strategy. :grinning:

5 Likes

Again this is not about restaurants or bars.

1 Like

Right there with you. I struggle with fast food and non sit down restaurants. They simply did their job and expect a tip? I was at a bakery yesterday and i got bagels. They put them in a bag and the flipped the point of sale machince and it had 20-25-30% tip options…or none.

2 Likes

I tip, well might I add, for table service. I don’t tip when I pick something up at the restaurant counter which seems to be more and more commonly requested nowadays. It’s ridiculous.

1 Like

I’ll tip for curbside service if they bring it out…but not 20% but if i have to park, walk in, and wait to pick it up…and you want me to tip…don’t hold your breathe.

1 Like

What gets me is the places were the tip is requested before the product is even delivered. Smoothie/Donut/coffee shop. I usually don’t but it makes you wonder if there will be a difference in how its made.

2 Likes

I feel like the general rule used to be something like:

1. Sit-down meal at a restaurant - 15%-20%
  2. Bar - $1-$2 per drink ordered
  3. Certain other service providers (e.g. barber) - Some reasonable set amount ($5-$10)

That was it. Now we’re asked to tip at counter service places and nearly everywhere else you can pay with a credit card. I saw a post on the Houston subreddit about an apartment complex that had a percentage based tipping option when you pay your rent online. GTFO.

It’s a tough situation, because people deserve a living wage and Texas hasn’t increased minimum wage since 2009. So I feel for service/retail employees because many of them aren’t paid enough by their employer. On the other hand, tipping literally anywhere and everywhere only furthers companies’ ability to underpay their employees and increase their own profits.

3 Likes

Tipping is for service.

It took me a minute, but I’m okay being uncomfortable NOT tipping at a place that just hands me food or bottles of water.

Now, servers are slightly different. I was a server for years. Got some great tips, got some crap tips. 99% of the time, there was a direct correlation between my service level and the tip. I carry forward the same thought.

I’m not going to tip 20% for crappy service, just because. At the same time, I often tip well over that for very good service. The server isn’t responsible for my food being bad, but they may be responsible for my order being incorrect (check it before you bring it out).

The benefit of being a server is the ability to make a lot of money. However, you have to work for it. Don’t do the bare minimum, and then go on tic tok griping about bad tippers when you provide crappy service.

1 Like

I took a client to Hooters last week for lunch. We each ordered 15 wings, fries and a soft drink. Wings were $24.99 per order, fries $5.49 and sodas $3.99. Total of $72.46 after tax. Caught me a bit by surprise as I haven’t been there in some time and the prices have jumped quite a bit. Our waitress was inattentive and acted put-off that we were discussing work and not making her the constant center of our attention. Ended up having to ask for my bill 3 times. 18% would work out around a $13 tip. I’ll admit that I had a moment about how the overpriced food tweaks the math in favor of the server.
Ultimately, my company was paying anyway so I settled on $11 to get her to the 15% she may have deserved.
I don’t know. It’s probably just me, but I definitely notice more stuff like this now than I used to.

The issue with this, one time I went to BWW to watch a game with a friend who doesn’t drink so I didn’t order any beers and just had water. We were there for like 2 hours and my bill was $10. I gave the guy a $10 tip and felt kind of bad about it, but he was shocked I tipped that much. The place was busy, but not 100% full. Still thought tipping by percentage would be stupid. Its more work refilling water than bringing me a beer, but handing me a beer means you earned $1-2 more in tip than getting me a new water? Friends who used to wait tables always said the worst tippers were Sunday after church. A lot of times they would just sit there for over an hour drinking coffee and the total tip for a table of 4 was a couple dollars.

We should get rid of tipping at restaurants. In Europe, it might be 10-15% higher for food but tips aren’t expected. Us paying 20% are just subsidizing the cheapskates who don’t tip or give almost nothing.

Right… I’ll just say my wife waited tables at the BWW in midtown and would get just terrible tips from groups fairly often…

Part of the reason why I always tip well is I’ve seen their struggle first hand…

How about at Luby’s or the Goode Company where you go thru the line and carry your tray to the table. At Luby’s some lady comes around and asks if you need anything, which I never do, and that it. At Goode BBQ, nothing. I guess you are tipping to let them sell you your food and bus your table after you’re through. I do tip because I don’t know the situation of the ladies at Luby’s, but I don’t see why I should tip at Goode Co. BBQ.