Tipping

If they can’t pay better wages strictly from the $13 dip and $10 fried pickles, somebody’s got their hand in the till. I bet they’ve never hired an auditor. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Service and tipping?
You do a great job at being a SERVER? You deserve 20 to 25%
You do an ok job at being a server? You deserve 10 to 15%
You do a bad job at being a server? You do not deserve anything.

What kind of a message are we sending if we get horrible service and the establishment wants to charge you 20% no matter what?

1 Like

I start at 20% and scale up or down depending on the quality of the service.

1 Like

Happened to me at Penas in Pearland Saturday. So I paid cash and made sure our waitress (Cougar Pena’s sister) got the tip for her hard work!
On my way home after the game I stopped at Starbucks on Hwy 6 in Manvel for a pink drink.
They have a tip jar at the window and is was packed with dollar bills, probably because the young lady serving was very attractive lol

Early 20th century topping in America was frowned upon.

From 1900 until the 1920s, tipping was either begrudgingly accepted or met with hostility by customers. Some “anti-tipping hotels” used “servidors,” doors with compartments on both sides to pass food and drinks through, creating a barrier so that guests never even saw their servers’ faces.Feb 14, 2022

How often do you not tip? How bad does somebody have to be to get nothing from you? I’ve never had terrible service before other than places like Hooters (which is expected). I’ve had times where a server had too many tables and struggled to provide quick service. I’ve had times where an order went in wrong or came out wrong. Never had a situation where I refused to tip. Unless the server insults you or something, I can’t imagine blaming everything on them where they walk away with nothing.

After Covid I’m tipping 20% no matter what. Even the worst service I’ll tip 20. I know the labor shortage is real and I want to be able to keep eating out at restaurants so I’m tipping. But other places, no.

4 Likes

Candelari’s pizza near my house closes on Mondays because they claim they still can’t fully staff. The place has a following. Hard to think they don’t make money on Mondays when open.

Keep tipping.

2 Likes

Not too long ago, I was at the Cadillac Bar and Grill in Terminal A at IAH. They had 3 servers working that day, but only 1 was truly working. She was absolutely busting her a$$. Since I expense the lunch, I put the meal and tip on my corporate card. I asked her if they tip pool. She said yes, so I gave her another $20 in cash, told her I noticed how hard she worked, and she better not share that with the others.

I can probably count on less than 1 hand the number of times service has been so bad, I didn’t tip. I also let the manager know. I lost count on how many times I’ve over tipped. I also let their managers know.

3 Likes

Same. I rarely get legit bad service. It’s anecdotal of course.

That said, if someone is regularly getting bad service, you may want to consider why.

1 Like

The problem with that is that servers have to give bus persons and other support staff a percent of the bill whether you tip or not. So you are costing them money because they may not meet your standards, yet they are doing as best as they can. They may be understaffed and overworked, I give them the benefit of the doubt. They usually have families that depend on the income.

1 Like

Do you tip at Sonic? I do and the kid always seems surprised.

2 Likes

I definitely DO NOT tip at any sort of fast food joint, Sonic included.

I tip at sonic also but not any other traditional fast food joint.

1 Like

I tip the WB guy/girl that comes out to Lane 2 to bring food/drinks. If raining … tip goes up. #DangerousGrounds

Never been to Sonic

Dine in - 20%
Take out - $5
Hair salon - $5
Grocery curbside - $10
Etc curbside - 0
Grocery delivery - always $20-$25 (they care for my food as much or as little as they want)
Pet grooming - 20%
Cableman/Mr.Fixit - I realize I shouldn’t but I do ONLY if it’s, above and beyond
Uber - a few bucks

I tip Uber 20% because I normally use it when traveling for work and the company is paying for it. I also want to keep a good passenger rating.

3 Likes