Tom Herman had it easy

Doesn’t count for player’s eligibility.

2 Likes

Depends… on if the player chooses to exercise their option for an extra year. We lost four of our best players who decided not to take advantage of the extra year or transfer.

i really wanted levine to work … he was not as bad as people made him out to be, underrated recruiter …that said im glad he isnt our coach for 2 distinct reasons…

1. he had no offense or defensive identity. lots of coaches dont run their offense or defense, but all the good ones knew what they wanted it to look like… with levine we were flip flopping offense and defensive schemes every year becuase levine had no identity in either and just went with whatever the OC/DC wanted, and every good assistant was hired away after 1 year, .which isnt a formula for long term success or consistency
  2. i have never seen a coach more obsessed with turnovers…every single interview , every single postgame was only about turnovers…we’d have 2yds per rush and 40% completion % on what would be horrendous offense, the entire post game would then be about how we only got 1 turnovers and that why we lost…i loved his passion for turnovers but that shouldnt be the only thing we focused on

i always said this when he was coach. he was a coach too early… if you could have given him 2 or 3 years under some elite program, where he could master their offensive scheme and gotten an identity of his preferred defense (or vice versa)… he would have been the perfect coach, but was lacking when he was here

2 Likes

Don’t let the fact that Levine inherited a team that went 13-1 be part of the discussion now. Nor should you be bothered with the fact that Holgorsen inherited a team that had just came out of an embarrassing 70-14 loss to Army on the previous season and the team was on a downward spiral with Applewhite being the man in charge of the sinking ship. Don’t let any of those facts pervert your assessment.

7 Likes

Don’t let the fact that many key contributors left after the 13-1 season, including a guy whose jersey we have retired and who still to this day holds a significant number of the all-time NCAA records. Don’t let that fact get in your way.

Don’t let the fact that Army was 2nd in rushing and 10th in defense, was way underrated and put against a Cougar team that was playing with only three starters on defense, all of whom were in the secondary and who were being coordinated by a guy who was one year removed from being a GA… and missing their Mr-everything QB. Don’t let the fact that it was one of the worst bowl matchups in my memory stand in the way of or pervert the facts you pointed out.

4 Likes

VERY EXPENSIVE NIGHT FOR THIS OLD COOG.
WE TOOK THE WHOLE FAMILY 11 OF US, PLUS
WE PICKED UP THE TAB AT THE CHINESE REST.
ABOUT A SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR NIGHT. EVEN OUR
KIDS WERE EMBARRASSED
LEVINE WAS A CARING SOUL THOUGH. MY S N L
AND GRANDSON WENT TO ONE OF HIS FRIENDS
BIRTHDAY PARTY. DAVID SAW CL AND ASK THE
HOST IF IT WAS HIM. SAID YES IT WAS. DAVID
(WHO IS A AGGIE) INTRODUCED HIMSELF AND
TOLD COACH I WAS A BIG COOG SUPPORTER
DAVID SAID HE IS NOT DOING WELL AT THIS TIME
CL ASK IF HE HAD MY TEL. NUMBER. DAVID SAID
YES, COACH SAID LETS CALL HIM PHONE RANG
AND DAVID SAID SOMEONE WANTS TO TALK TO
YOU. COACH AND I TALKED ABOUT 15-20 MIN.
I WAS IMPRESSED. NICE GUY.

14 Likes

This was easily the main thing Levine never got. All that gimmick stuff Herman did was really for the media. What he did best was come in with a clear cut identity on offense/defense and drilled that in to the guys. We had the right players for it to work (Ward, Farrow, Ayers, a defense with a chip on its shoulder). That is also why Applewhite failed. Had us running a ridiculously fast Briles offense while the defense was bend but dont break. Made no sense.

4 Likes

Little sideways here but hey, its a forum…This is using Herman but could apply to any of the G5 HC that bolted to the P5 Promise Land..IF CDH didn’t work out ( and i believe he is going to ) could you see scenario where Herman could end up @ UH again ? No idea if man with his ego could handle that but say he could. He was arrogant and the way he did UH was wrong on the way out but maybe he got a big dose of humility at the 40 Acres. Can’t blame a man for wanting a shot at a Natty to prove he’s best. Still no excuse for way he left, it was DBag First Class. To me the key is expanding the CFP to 8 which would include the top G5 team and the 2 at-larges. That would build the AAC brand basically into the “P6” as the perennial top G5 conference. That would give a HC a shot at the CFP and wouldn’t force them to leave for the perceived greener pastures shot at glory…that he would have a major woody for TU would make for great media and I could see some epic battles on the recruiting front/etc

1 Like

Herman almost certainly won’t be welcomed back. If he’d left like Scott Frost, I’m sure he absolutely would be strongly considered if he was looking and the school was looking at the same time.

3 Likes

As a coach, I think Herman was great, and really did help UH football get back to national prominence for a while. While I did not appreciate the controversial manner in which he left UH, I am happy to let bygones be bygones.

However, and more importantly, the bigger issue is one of trust: for instance, I don’t think that I (or most Coogs) trust him to stay here long, and not to be looking for a new job almost as soon as he settles down here. He was looking for the greener grass on the other side, because, to him, it wasn’t here.

I honestly don’t care anymore if someone stays for 10 years. Just win when you are here.

2 Likes

Here’s the problem with Herman. He built a great culture (HTownTakeover, Love of your teammates, etc). The problem with his culture is it was built on lies. Those lies have been exposed. It could be why he wasn’t more successful at UT. Why would any player or school believe him anymore? You can build a culture, but it has to be based on trust, not lies.

14 Likes

No, because Herman is known as a fraud now and he and his agent would be job hunting after every good win just like before he is one of those guys that will always look for the next big payday.

1 Like

I’m trying to remember, were there any rumors to our OC job before Levine went with Bush the 2 time?

Don’t let the fact that Applewhite Left Holgorsen with the worst recruiting in 10 years with the top 10 recruits all left for UT, Baylor, and Florida to obscure the fact that he had very little to work with when he took over as headcoach too now!

1 Like

When he got to Houston he locked the players out of the locker room and told them they had to earn their way into the locker room and onto the team. When he got to UTa he told the team that the 2 million dollar locker room wasn’t good enough and he was going to give them a 4 million dollar locker room. That’s where the funny video of him trying to demolish a locker came from.

7 Likes

Don’t think so. I think Bush was announced pretty quickly after TCU was known to be leaving.

1 Like

So were they buddies? I thought Mack Rhodes was the Bush connection. Gibbs pretty much fell in Levine’s lap, great hire though. To go back to Bush after Meacum was such a downgrade

Internet sleuthing shows that Meacham officially left on 12/3 and Bush was promoted on 12/6.

Bush was already on Levine’s staff. He was running backs coach initially and took over as interim OC after Nesbitt got fired after the first game in 2012. Then got effectively bounced down to Co-OC/QBs when Tony hired Meacham and then re-promoted to primary OC/play-caller almost immediately after Meacham left.

2 Likes

That made me look up Nesbitt to see what he’s up to. He’s the head coach at an NAIA school in Oklahoma and seems to be doing fairly well (good for him). This is hilarious in his bio on the school’s website though.

" Houston (2012): Nesbitt was named the offensive coordinator at the University of Houston in January 2012 and his offense received high praise through the spring and summer. He left the position in the fall."

3 Likes