Tom Herman's Houston QB's Of The Future

LINK

No mention of Kyle Allen?

Oof. The blogger clearly didn’t know the backstory there - LeBush moved Ward to WR in favor of O’Korn, and only gave him another shot at QB when O’Korn self-immolated and they had no other choice.

Just because he didn’t print it, doesn’t mean he didn’t know about it.

I believe most people were in agreement with O’Korn being the starter. He had a great freshman year. Why should O’Korn not have been the starter? Levine also could have told Ward, no, you can’t play WR, you are the backup QB. He recognized his talent and kept him on the field. And when O’Korn floundered, he gave Ward his chance. Nothing wrong with any of that.

3 Likes

He has good comments and praise for Sells and our current verbal commit, but it is odd he doesn’t mention Kyle Allen at all.

1 Like

I LOVE the term FSU’d. Like it’s a new verb. It shall now be used to replace, dare I say it, “Coog’d it.” LOL

2 Likes

I love it!

HEY OU:

2 Likes

Mention of D’Eriq King in the same mould as Ward and Bryson Smith would have made sense too. The 2017 QB competition is going to be insane!

1 Like

Levine was fired because he was a lousy judge of offensive coordinators, not QBs. The hiring of Bush after Mechum left for ATM was a disaster which could have been predicted after seeing Bush in action the year before. Oh yeah, and he lost his first game in the new stadium…to UTSA for pete’s sake. You DO NOT lost your first game in a new stadium to a lower ranked team EVER. Otherwise, I really liked him and i thought that he brought a lot of good character to the program.

2 Likes

Losing to a terrible Tulane team for Homecoming certainly did not help his cause. All three years he was there we suffered losses to teams that should not have even been competitive with us. That said, he was a good recruiter and a positive representative for the school in the community and with high schools that he recruited. The situation could have been far worse when he left than it was.

3 Likes

never gonna look back at Levine and say what a scum bag, unethical, self centered a hole he turned out to be…can’t say that about his predecessors…
appreciate the man and his loyalty…just wasn’t a good choice for head coach

3 Likes

Okorn did not have Mechum his sophomore year, that was the beginning/end of okorn. Mechum went to tcu not atm. Levine did have trouble with offensive coordinators, not talent. Mechum may have always been a one and done coach since he came from okie st and ended up at tcu.

I wish we could have kept Levine here in some capacity. He had/has a lot to offer.

The problem was that Levine promised O’Korn the position with no competition. It was obvious that Ward had talent in both their freshmen seasons as Ward would often provide a spark when the offense had been struggling with O’Korn. I’m not saying O’Korn had a bad freshman season, he didn’t, but he shouldn’t have been handed the keys to the offense going into '14 with no competition when Ward had proven that he at least deserved a chance. Instead, they stripped Ward of QB duties after the season and gave the job to O’Korn with no competition. Remember, it was Cosh who came in to relieve O’Korn in the UTSA game, not Ward. It wasn’t until the season was spiraling out of control that Levine finally relented and moved Ward back to QB.

1 Like

You can have that argument. But O’Korn and Ward are different QB’s. Maybe Levine wanted a system that matched O’Korn’s abilities. I don’t have a big issue with handing him the keys after the season he had and wanting to have that system moving forward.

They “stripped” Ward, if you want to call it that, of QB duties so they could utilize him at WR. If they had Ward as the backup he would not have been on the field at all, unless to relieve O’Korn. This also could have been at the request of Ward? I don’t remember if that was said. So of course it was Cosh relieving O’Korn. Ward had to work with the WR’s, he wasn’t QB ready, Cosh had to be the backup. But instead of turning to Cosh when it was apparent O’Korn wasn’t going to come around, they installed Ward. We were 2-2 when Ward took the reins during the UCF game, the latter loss being BYU, not really spiraling out of control.

2 Likes

They stripped him of his duties because they wanted to eliminate competition at the QB spot. Ward outplayed O’Korn in practice and Levine and his merry bunch of idiots didn’t want that to keep happening every day. Levine was a half step above Dimel

1 Like

The author also says that there are multiple Levine QB recruits left that may surprise us all.
I know Bear’s still with the program, are there other QB’s nobody knows about?

Just wondering who your source of “The Promise” was?

D’Eriq King is a beast. Sells, King, Allen and Postma will have a battle in their hands.

“Promise” was probably the wrong word as I don’t have a source to cite. This was more of an assumption on my part due to the fact that O’Korn’s top competitor was moved to WR and his subpar spring performance that year not having any affect on his spot on the depth chart.