Traditional Universities in Power Conferences

See, the thing is, that same Cullen Foundation charter that had words to that effect, also had language saying that UH had to be all-White.

In other words, that founding mission should be DISregarded.

Our current mission emphasizes educating diverse populations.

In my mind, that means students of all backgrounds, but it should be in a more TRADITIONAL format.

A look down the list of AAU members shows only one, maybe two non-traditional universities on the list.

In other words, it’s VERY HARD to get there following a non-traditional model.

For that very reason, we need to change our surrounding location, and do various things to encourage more residential, traditional students.

4 Likes

The fact that a recent entrant, UCF is not “traditional” means the similar change you say UH has made to the Cullen charter is the same on the big 10 made when expanding into California and now AAU.

you are blinded not seeing that your own statements that have proven to be false apply to many other situations.

UCF is 40 years YOUNGER than UH and is definitely more traditional than UH.

Add in the facts that it also is in a big rich state and has a bunch of in state competition (UF & FSU) and is also in a large city.

Maybe we should pay attention to what they are doing to “build culture”.

But i get it Moncoog…you want UH to remain a culture-less commuter school…we get it.

You probably also want the third ward to remain dilapidated so that thr policy can continue to pray on their residents by keeping them down.

Weren’t you also the same poster stating it is very hard for people to build a networh of at least a million dollars by the age of 65?

We get it Moncoog, you don’t believe in people and the opportunities for them to better themselves and obviously you are in the “leave UH as it is” camp because you don’t want UH to better these either.

You wouldn’t happen to be a third ward landlord, by chance…would you?

2 Likes

And the FSU charter called for an ALL FEMALE TEACHING school.

And the Texas A&M charter called for an ALL WHITE MALE college.

When my uncle “briefly” attended Texas A&M in the 80s, he was shocked to find it was still 80% male.

He soon transfered out.

Charters are the starting point but should evolve!

2 Likes

You veil your accusations in your use of the word “probably” but the result remains the same, you’re ignorant with an agenda.

You are probably actually are an idiot, but using the word probably gives me some buffer from actually making that accusation.

Go ahead and do your research and quote where ANY poster on this message board has made this claim.

Don’t let your emotions get in the way of a thoughtful reply because you make UH look bad.

Again, with your probably or “weren’t you”. If you have a doubt then don’t be lazy and look it up yourself and then you won’t prove your ignorance with a false memory, or more than likely, another ignorant accusation.

1 Like

Location, location and location along with what Law says.
I have been going to UH as a student ‘67-70 and as a fan and alum ever since.
I have never felt threatened or been afraid of going into the city I grew up in.
Unfortunately many, maybe most folks I encounter these days are scared of the wicked city itself and don’t want their kids going to UH even though most will work near there when they graduate.
When I went to UH it was probably 80% white and the neighborhood was pretty run down with shacks, beer points and brothels making up Scott Street.
Yes we have come a long ways, but the makeup of the city has changed so much since I grew up on North Side and went to Davis.
What’s the answer? I have no idea.
Just keep getting academically stronger, tighten up entrance requirements and hope one day UH will become a destination instead of an alternative.
Until then in my last years I will just continue loving my University and thanking the Lord for blessing me for my years at UH.
That is all we can control.
Go Coogs!

4 Likes

And you show further ignorance with this question. So I’ll counter and ask, what if I am? By your previous comments your question is stating that a landlord in the third ward would want to keep the third ward in the same condition, or worse, than it is now.

What a completely either ignorant or idiotic thought. A landlord wants his property to improve so that the investment has a return. Cash flow is great, but true wealth is built on capital appreciation to the point that the property is worth more than the cash flow brings in. True investors chomp at the bit to buy a property and dump money into it to improve the property and get a return on that improvement.

There, I just gave you some free training on this beautiful Saturday morning of what being a landlord and property investor means.

2 Likes

I think you mean USF, NOT UCF. UCF is nowhere close to AAU.

USF is literally the exception that proves the rule.

In other words, it is about SIXTY-FIVE times more likely that you’ll achieve AAU as a traditional school than a non-traditional school.

Message: getting there the way that you suggest is far, FAR harder.

We should take the SAFER bet, not the far riskier bet.

Not sure why some people here like you seem to insist that we go about it the harder, riskier, less likely way.

Seems dumb.

Yet somehow, there hasn’t been a strong push to do exactly that with the eyesore across Scott Street.

Go figure.

1 Like

FIFY.

As I said, I don’t put money on the exception that proves the rule.

I make the SAFER “traditional” bet.

Ucf or usf thanks for the correction.

There is no such thing as an exception that proves a rule. Either there’s a rule, or there isn’t. And UxF getting in shows there is no rule.

Is there a way that might make it easier? Sure. But UH is already on the outside of that path that MAY be easier despite recent history showing that it’s possible to buck that path. Given where UH IS, not could be, then I say keep educating our citizens and working on academics.

2 Likes

As I said, it shows that you are SIXTY-FIVE times more likely to get in following MY suggested model than yours.

I don’t know many people that would prefer YOUR odds.

As for another topic that was brought up here. Yes, any college graduate through systematic and consistent investment starting in their 20s should be able to accumulate $1 million or more in net worth.

There’s time value in money.

And you are also out of touch. Many public libraries require a masters degree yet only pay between $30k-$40k as a return on that large investment. Public zoos also require masters degrees for some of their animal handling positions and their pay is only slightly higher than being a librarian. In the real world, their degrees will not make them a millionaire in return for the profession they chose.

The contention is the word “should”. They “can” become millionaires, but reality shows otherwise.

Having said that, in 30 years when current graduates are nearing retirement, a million dollars won’t be the same.

So let’s define millionaire as the current value of that million.

1 Like

Here comes the pessimism.

Does it make you feel better to go around telling people to “just quit because it’s way too hard?”

It’s NOT hard if you practice discipline + Patience over a long period of time.

As for your rebuttal. Here’s food for thought:

https://twitter.com/DaveRamsey/status/1728847085435273471?lang=en

You are literally telling me you don’t believe enough in people for them to FIND A WAY to invest $100/ month (discipline + Patience)

No wonder you want UH to remain status quo

Oh, are we doing the “million dollars” thing again?

It’s absolutely achievable if your sole aim in life is accumulating wealth and you structure your life around hitting that target and everything goes right.

For most people, though, stuff goes wrong. Divorce, layoffs, unplanned children, injuries. All of that stuff happens to people with some frequency, and is very expensive. A zookeeper or librarian can accumulate a million dollars if they get a couple roommates and invest aggressively and don’t wind up having kids or paying alimony. But many people – the majority, I’d wager – would rather take a gamble on marriage, children, etc. than have a seven figure net worth in their mid-sixties.

3 Likes

I don’t buy that either.

I was only making in the 40sK per year range when I started as a junior military officer; and I had law school loans to pay off to boot!

Guess what?

I was single…I lived in a studio apartment, slept on an air mattress, drove a very cheap car, and invested hundreds each month.

It CAN be done.

1 Like

I had that by age 50.

And that was while having a five figure income for many years.

It CAN be done. You simply have to start young, be disciplined, and invest aggressively, consistently, and systematically.

I’m personally not close to 50 yet but it’s a relatively safe wager that by the time that I turn 50 I’ll be there. But I also know that as a twentysomething with a relatively high income who’s not having kids and who’ll get a prenup in the unlikely event that I get married, there’s a lot of people that aren’t in situations as favorable as mine. It took a lot of luck and a lot of forethought to wind up where I am, and even then, one bad day or a single bad bet could put me back at square one, or worse.

Please at least learn to use stats correctly. This is absolutely false. You are saying that Baylor, TCU, and SMU are 65 times more likely to be AAU than UH. A laughable thought, but that s what you are saying.

Using numbers completely false like this just makes all your other claims that much harder to believe.

2 Likes

Same with other numbers for law and 27

Saying it is easier to have $1 million when they retire in 40 years. That is like only have $350,000 in today’s value. How much harder will it be to have $3 million in 2064?

Same with “getting by” on $40,000 (not sure years exactly) in 1998 for example. That is like getting paid nearly $80,000 today. Not hard to get by on $80,000 today living in a small apartment.

People need to use valid numbers for valid consideration.

2 Likes