UCLA and Big 12 expansion

Pretty good article. We can’t exactly throw stones about attendance but the UCLA attendance issue is startling. When you couple that with the decline in the number of kids playing high school football in California.

The sport is in trouble on the west coast.

1 Like

I know why for the last two years because of Covid.

1 Like

Plus, they have the Rams again…

1 Like

Yep some folks and writers cannot see the forest for all those trees in the way …

Covid19 and now the delta variant … everywhere … DUH!!!

Plus …

Those now yearly forest fires in the hills around LA and further up the state wiping out homes and communities … aren’t helping either …

1 Like

No per the article that came out in August 2020, it was the 5th straight year of declining participation.

3 Likes

The concussion story with the NFL has also created a negative headwind for the sport.

2 Likes

There are likely multiple factors at play. They are struggling on the field and that’s playing a role. How much of that is related to CA focusing less on football, idk.

The pandemic is definitely having an impact too. If nothing else, by making the trend much worse.

Pretty much the attendance of UCLA last weekshouldn’t be a huge surprise. LA like Houston isn’t an Aggieland where everyone is showing up regardless. They haven’t been very good, it was blazing hot, pandemic issues, just a lot of issues right now. Kelly gets them roaring like us their attendance will improve.

2 Likes

Coog51 thank you for posting.
The latimes editor did not do his/her job due to the writer’s laziness.
Did you catch this?
High school sports participation in California increased for the eighth consecutive year to an all-time high of 815,313.
Question:
CIF participation went down by about 2,000 from previous years. To which sport did these 2,000 went to?
Isn’t an obvious question or shouldn’t the writer tell us?
These types of articles are now common…unfortunately.

High school sports was not what the LA Times article was about, it was about the decline of HS football. I would imagine that with the influx of Hispanic kids, soccer is on the increase.

3 Likes

This is why I brought that up.
You are a reader and you read the piece. Don’t you want to know what sport(s) benefited from it? I do.
It would interesting to know by which age group in H.S. it is happening.

So no age breakdown but here’s the CIF basically California UIL posting about participation… Link to a full chat is at the bottom of the article

Big gainers have been track and field and percentage wise boys volleyball.

https://www.cifstate.org/news/2019-20_census_rel

1 Like

No, I don’t care about any of the other sports in California.

4 Likes

Are you sure. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grin:

Guys are too confused about the restroom choices.

6 Likes

98% of the immigration into California is probably soccer fans. That’s gonna be part of it.

3 Likes

One of my best friends is a UCLA grad and actually follows the t3am. He didn’t even know UCLA was playing last week until I told him. The problem is that no one in LA cares about football.

1 Like

And we really want to join a California based conference where nobody cares about football?

2 Likes

Yes. UCLA v Hawaii (976,000 viewers) was beaten by Alcorn-NC Central (1,002,000) in the ratings.

Total Viewers: Highlighted in blue (add ,000)

1 Like

Yeah, the PAC doesn’t need the Texas market! They can replace our market with that 900,000 viewer market with Hawaii! LMAO! The hot wildfire must have cooked their brain cells over the Pacific coastlines!

2 Likes