UH Baseball 2024 : 1st Big 12 Road Series at BYU (1-2)

Key word being “fall”. :shushing_face:

NIce looking field. Great picture.

Pitching change.
Going w Dunc.

I sure hope Jelkin is not hurt.

He is the one guy I know for sure has good enough stuff to beat the better teams.

2 Likes

Jelkin started, he just got his 9th strikeout, 1-1 into the 6th

13 K’s in 6 IP for Jelkin.

As Funk would say “He was tossing diamonds”.

1 Like

I’m with you on nickens right now, turning over the lineup and got him in the 1 hole. Be a good time to turn it around

1 Like

Game.

4-2 Blue Cougs

That out of the zone call really set up those swings… ump looked like he was ready to pack it

Still, 4-1 is a good start to conference play. If we can get the win today it has got to be considered a very successful beginning. Go Coogs!

1 Like

BYU loads em up but no runs.
Great throw by Schoenvogel at the plate for out 2.
French w a jack.
UH 2-1.

Aggressive running hurt them last night but by far has worked out in general.

Jimenez leads off. It was time to try something else.

BYUs Easton Jones gets another lick in.
All B12 season coming for him.
UH 4-2 after a Harold Coll Jack in 3d.

I posted on a different thread by accident.

This team does not have a high baseball IQ.

That comes from the coaches.

Lots of bad decisions by fielders….

Heck, we just allowed a double steal without a throw….geez.

Not sure who calls pitches but as I said in the other thread the calls are incredibly predictable….yes, the pitchers are missing spots but the calls themselves are “little leagueish”

1 Like

I got bad news, it didn’t get any better…in the three days I have watched, I have seen a fly ball fall drop in the outfield, runner on 1st and 3rd with one out and the runner going home gets caught in a pickle, and a pickoff attempt when the first baseman was in on the grass for a bunt.

3 Likes

There is clearly more talent this year, especially arms….

But they just are not well coached….good HS or Showcase teams don’t make many of the mistakes you see with these UH teams.

With better coaching I think there is enough talent on this team to finish in the top 1/2 of conference and make the tournament.( most likely as a #3 seed that slips in the back door)

And I said at the beginning of the season this was a team that was probably in the next ten teams that missed the 64.

I stand by that but my goodness how many years do we have to watch CTW teams that are so fundamentally flawed.

6 Likes

Sheesh.
Everything Ole Whitt and staff do not do well in these last 2.

Back to back- home & home v Rice next.

1 Like

That ought to pack in the fans lol

3 Likes

I’m pretty disappointed that we lost that series to BYU.

2 Likes

SATURDAY MVP
Houston 2B Harold Coll

1 Like

I’ll withhold judgment. It could be “same ol’ same ol” but it was the first road conference series. The team looks better, and they’ve mostly played better. We’ve looked good enough to compete in the B12, but we’ve also looked bad enough not to - not sure which version to believe yet.

2 Likes

Some bone headed stuff in the field( situational stuff) and some base running gaffes……those are both coaching responsibilities.

Also, some really questionable lineups.

I personally think we could be 2/3 games better than what the record shows.

For anyone missing Dusty, just watch ol’ TW manage and you might get that itch scratched.

4 Likes