UH Baseball Mediocrity Continues

In my humble opinion, we should look for another coach at the end of this year.

2 Likes

Seems pretty accurate by ability as well as percentages

https://twitter.com/ncaahardball/status/1374082023841742853?s=21

Congrats to UTSA, UTRGV and Incarnate Word for being elite baseball programs.

After the 2-31 run disparity to OU which is closer to getting back to respectability?

Dana
Whitting

1 Like

Dana only has two years as head coach so I think he has a slight edge

Why wait? The interim couldn’t be worse than the present.

1 Like

Had enough of Whitting yet?

Had enough of both, Whitting and his pitching coach.

I think it’s important to remember that the team was playing well below its potential last year as well. It just got brushed aside after covid abruptly ended the season. So this is effectively year two of the abyss.

4 Likes

Bad.

I would like to know why all of a sudden we cannot recruit really good pitchers in the Houston area?
Is it something about the air in Houston? I noticed Rice has also fallen on hard times over the past few years, but the fall has not, in my opinion, been as hard as ours over the past two years.
Noble was able to get out and recruit high school pitchers at a premium, and then Whitting came in and followed suit for a while.
Is there something about the coaching staff or perhaps the school that is causing baseball players to dis our Cougars? It’s really frustrating…

1 Like

We just walked 24 and hit 8 batters in 29.2 innings played at WSU. That is gifting more than 1 baserunner per inning… every. single. inning… for 4 games. . Its also tough to win games averaging 1.5 runs per game.

9 and 10 year old pitchers dont walk or hit batters at that kind of rate.

Of all the baseball stats out there and its a lot, UH is better than its opponents so far this year in only 2 categories: Homeruns by our offense and we have balked one less time than our pitching staff opponents. That’s it!

Our .247 average is ranked in the low 200’s in the nation and our 5.82 team ERA is ranked around 200.

2 Likes

Real simple - scholarship limits causes guys to pay money anyway so the ones that can afford it will go and take chances at a UT/A&M etc just to say they went there and baseball is a burb sport so that’s being pushed out there

Some of the good ones may get more cash at other places so it’s how you spend your money

Top players have always gone to Texas and Agy, and always will. I don’t think that is the problem. Texas Tech has become a baseball power and TCU continues to recruit well even with Whitting gone.
Players have always paid a little to go to school…always have…so that is not the problem.
What I am saying, do top players no longer want to come to Houston? We have been in the same conference for years, so that isn’t the problem.
Has Whitting forgotten how to recruit? I doubt it…
There is something wrong on Cullen…

2 Likes

100% Agree. Houston, Texas is a top 3, if not the top, hotbed for baseball prospects in the entire country. There are enough players and pitching to go around to make all top programs in the state highly competitive. 1-7 in conference and 13-18 overall just does not compute.

Whitting will get another year at a minimum, and personally I think he deserves it, so I hope he can turn it around. Parents of players are obviously frustrated as you can tell some have started to post on this board.

3 Likes

TT and TCU have become the premiere programs in the state recently. Tech has been to Omaha 4 of the last 6 years and TCU 4 years in a row between 2014-2017 (while eliminating A&M from the postseason three straight years in the process)

I’d be happy with one.

1 Like

The 8 hit batters really boggles the mind.

https://twitter.com/ncaahardball/status/1381730543549571077?s=21

Take that Texas Southern!

3 Likes

I think we need a new HC this season. The writing is on the wall, imo.
Pay Whitting whatever left in his contract and let’s go get a new HC.

3 Likes