UH loses series 1-2 / ECU cliches AAC regular season / May 13/14/15 vs UCF - ESPN+ /

Yep we are going to get pummeled in the Big 12 in baseball

Joe Mauer the all time great at that size. A generation athlete.
#1 pick in the MLB draft. Gatorade HS player of the year in football. The #1 overall recruit. Broke Bobby Bowden’s heart when he turned down FSU for MLB.

He was great no doubt……but I’ll take 5’9” Pudge all day. :+1:

1 Like

Wow, how did we beat the Aggies?

The worst teams in baseball can beat the best….especially if you have one stud pitcher….UH is no where near being one of the worst teams….
If we played A&M 10 times the Coogs win 2 or 3 most likely.

Do you watch High school baseball( playoffs)?

Many times you will see the weaker team flip for a single game playoff rather than 2 of 3 series…. The coach knows they might have a shot with his best pitcher for one game….

Exactly right. I can’t remember when the one game option started, but I remember the glory days of Bellaire HS with Ray Knoblauch and Rocky Manuel. I don’t think they played a three game series in the playoffs for years until the final few rounds.

A friend of mine used to say teams play to the level of their competition.
I wonder where we might be if instead of playing swac teams at home, Whitting had scheduled teams like DBU, ut-austin, Texas State. Worst case scenario: 3 more losses/fewer wins and a slightly higher RPI. Best case scenario: an RPI that puts us in at-large bid territory.

5 Likes

Yes Sir…been saying this all along “iron sharpens iron” This craptastic schedule did team no favors heading into post season.

2 Likes

I am starting to think Pez has already made the decision to ride Whitting into the B12. I think he gives him one season in the B12 to assess the range and viability of the program. Just an idea.

So you think he is giving him two more seasons at a minimum?

Lord, help us.

3 Likes

I think he will. I think there’s a rapport between Whitting and the school that may not exist between Whitting and the fans.

Not advocating either way. Just a hunch.

I think now that we are way back in basketball and righted the FB ship, he will begin looking at other teams. Baseball simply has no excuse with the huge talent base in the Houston metro, and that facility upgrade. Women’s Softball is the same as is Women’s BB. although BB got a couple of decent transfers and had a decent season.

2 Likes

Does UH join the Big 12 NEXT season (2023)? An article I had read previously said “no later than 2024” but that the school was hoping to join in 2023. At least that’s what I THINK I remember reading.

A minimum one more season in the AAC.

I think bringing CTW into the Big 12 would require a new contract. How likely is Pez to fire CTW one year into a new 3 (or more) year deal? If Pez signs Whitting to a new deal only to fire him after the first year, someone should get kicked in the balls.

But I won’t say who…

If Pez keeps CTW, he must think the Big 12 is going to recruit for UH… which would be really dumb…

But who am I to say?

Go Coogs

1 Like

This is the type of analysis that makes me follow xDC on Coogfans like a teenage girl follows the Kardashians on twitter.

1 Like

Exactly……baseball is a sport that does not need a major “P5” conference affiliation to recruit from……especially when you are in one of the top 5 hotbed’s of baseball talent in the nation and have a shiny new baseball facility.
After the season they had last year….look at the list below….now tell me why UH with the advantages we have, should be below those schools.

Schools not in “P5” that will most likely make the tournament as an at large if they do not win their Conference Tournament.

DBU
Georgia Southern
Southern Miss
Gonzaga
Wofford
Texas State
Coastal Carolina
East Carolina
UCSB
Liberty
Grand Canyon

Bubble Teams not “P5”

UCONN
Mercer
San Diego
UTSA
MTSU
Penn
Old Dominion
Charleston
Kennesaw State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana

Non “P5” teams probably on the outside looking in if they don’t win their conference tournament.

Columbia
Campbell
Davidson
Xavier
Belmont
VCU
SE Missouri

Other “P5” teams even farther out

Evansville
Southern Illinois
Nevada
South Alabama
Portland
Charlotte

Houston

I thought this might bring a different perspective to the folks that think Whitting should stay……

6 Likes

Few here think he should stay but we are getting our minds around that he will stay.

They put this season on a tee for Whitting to knock it out of the park and he barely hit a double.

2 Likes

More like he Baltimore chopped an infield single, and then coached himself in to getting picked off first.

2 Likes

Well played, sir. I see what you did there.

That made me laugh.

Go Coogs