UH vs. Duarte Part ? (I have lost count)

Media/Journalist are not on that emergency list.

2 Likes

“personally identifiable information (PII)” was not requested.

2 Likes

Our procedure is each dept reports results to the University. The University reports the results to State and County.

Duarte wanted sport breakdowns. Not gonna happen.

7 Likes

We might be the only university in Texas where the local media is not a friend. At some point all the blame can’t be on the Chronicle, right? Maybe so, but doesn’t seem like we care at this point to try to build a better relationship. We better stay as clean as possible because unlike in Waco or Fort Worth or Austin or College Station, the media will not protect or paint the school in a good light.

As for this article, I think Duarte is right but he isn’t helping himself any with an article like this. Also did Jarreau announce that he tested positive? Even if that info was out there, unless Jarreau specifically talked about it, I don’t think Duarte should have named him in the article.

5 Likes

True, but if you count tests and count players missing from practice, you can easily identify those who are out for Covid reasons. That would be toeing the line(sarcasm). The school could still be liable.

1 Like

This might throw you for a loop.

I concur.

2 Likes

Especially when you break it down to specific groups (players, coaches, support staff, etc). Let’s say you want to know the aggregate number of basketball coaches (there are maybe 5) who have tested positive. It would probably be pretty easy to figure out who if a couple had missed time for undisclosed reasons.

3 Likes

Exactly! As an educator you can never be too sure about what not-so obvious information can be traced back to the kid. That’s why FERPA has regulations on a need-to-know basis. There are some that don’t realize they are out of compliance when they share information with other teachers about students that are not in their classes. PII is not limited to addresses, last names etc. It can also be something as simple as if a kid has a type of allergy or what backpack he/she brings to school. Gotta watch out! The slope can be slippery!

3 Likes

Good question for the AD to answer.

If that is the procedures, then so be it. Always side on protecting the student athlete.

But the guy proved to be hostile towards the university with that initial COVID article. He won’t be getting any favors done in the near future.

First off, we have a very friendly national media relationship. Very positive.

Secondly, Duarte and UH has become contentious. May be time for a new beat writer

11 Likes

I agree with the later comment.

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1296524225784754183?s=21

Sounds like we are in good shape Covid wise.

5 Likes

Why is the Chairman speaking to a VP.

Isn’t that stepping on the Chancellor/President.

I also understand reality that Tilman is not a regular Chairman. He is a very rich Chairman which means he could do whatever he wants.

1 Like

He is Chairman of the Board.

1 Like

Why do some people look for controversy where there is none? If everything had to go through the Chancellor/President the bottleneck would be stifling. I’m sure that Dr. Khator is on board with this.

I would bet that Fertitta talks with CDH as well, without going through Dr. K.

8 Likes

There are cases he admitted but the exact number and when the cases were reported is the issue

Some people don’t look for controversy!

I do!

You need buffers in any organization. The button men never speaks to the Don.

1 Like

Really?

The AD doesn’t converse with his biggest donor?

Quit being moronic.

12 Likes

Time for another news source in Houston !!

I got tired of the NYT and Austin Chronicle many years ago :sunglasses:.

5 Likes

Calling a poster moronic is unnecessary.

And you are getting hearts for that.

1 Like