UH vs. Duarte Part ? (I have lost count)

Duarte is a full hour behind the other reporters. He may be out of the loop.

3 Likes

more fat to the payroll - but if UH is excluding certain media then that’s classless. Who is driving the bus?

I only asked if he was uninvited. There is nothing to say that he was – just slower than normal to report. He and Berman are usually within minutes of each other. Maybe Duarte was in a line to get tested for COVID again

2 Likes

Yes True, same in Dallas. You think Houston doesn’t exist in those areas.

2 Likes

He was involved. Article in Chronicle, not sure if in tomorrow’s paper or on-line only.

1 Like

If he University beat writer is going to be a good beat writer he is going to build great relationships with the coaching staffs and athletic program. So yes, it is his job to an extent to support the program. Not only did he not show support he took shots at the football coach for how he ran his program and has taken shots trying to instigate a public feud.

1 Like

There is no such as classless when dealing with certain media !!

3 Likes

Duarte was on the zoom call. I believe his question was related to asking about having had 9 spring practices and how it may have helped him this fall. Dana said we have a lot of new people and that was six months ago so not as big of a carryover. He did say that he is very happy with where the team is from knowing the scheme in year 2, but need the extra time to prepare for Memphis.

3 Likes

Considering that the probability of having a season and especially with starting the season has improved significantly over the last month, you would think his question would have been framed diffrently.

Same in Collie Station! Only in Houston is ANYTHING covered - and in the comical, it is mostly negative.

3 Likes

You nailed it. duarte thought earlier this year that he was reporting a “worldwide” scoop.
He did not. Later on the same week his alma matter reported a much higher COVID-19 cases. It snowballed from there.
His so called “worldwide” scope was not there and never existed.
He got called on it.
He never ADJUSTED (wink wink) his tone
He visits this website?
We asked him multiple times to give us some inputs.
He never came forward.
A few weeks later he is still “entrenched” in his “Worldwide scoop”
I will ask it again. What’s the point Duarte?
Why would you take a path that is #1 not true & #2 why would you do it as a so called “beat writer”
The first rule in journalism is to report facts. Not to distort the facts.

8 Likes

Chris
your timeline and sad description of what happened is 
right on.
I cannot believe our beat writer is where he is, and apparently by his own design.

4 Likes

Don’t be a Duarte

3 Likes

Don’t be a Dale to Don’t be a Duarte.

My how far we have come. Lol

3 Likes

And we still have the roach

5 Likes

At least Dale is a UH grad. He worked at the Daily Cougar not too long after I did. Haven’t talked to him in years so I really never heard his side of the story why he was so hard on the Coogs.
But I think it eventually worked him into a new gig
was it tennis, soccer or whatever?

To me that makes it even worse for Dale. From what I have been told is he was the same even as a student with the DC

1 Like

We need to call these people out. I have suggested making bumper stickers that would say something like, “Don’t Read the Roach”. 97% negative views with an occassional platitude

1 Like

Before we apply tar and feathers to Joseph Duarte, let’s remember for whom he works: the Houston Chronicle.

And, the Houston Chronicle’s football team is the Houston Texans, and thus it has little to no interest in covering University of Houston football. - However, in Austin, Texas, the only football team is the University of Texas Longhorns; and the local newspaper there, which is the Austin American Statesman, treats the University of Texas with reverence and deference. The difference in not only the amount of coverage, but the tone of coverage is remarkable.

If the basic facts of a story are that the University of Houston football team is operating during the Covid19 pandemic, all of its players are well, and the school has engaged doctors to insure their continued health, the Chronicle would headline it “College Football Team Reports No Player Covid Deaths Yet.”. The Austin American-Stateman/UT treatment of a story based on the same facts would result in a headline that says “College Starts Own Medical School, Protects Football Players Health”.

3 Likes

I knew Dale when he was covering the Oilers, yes, he did go to UH. He’s one of those people that went to school at UH but never was a rah, rah type guy for anything. I even asked him about it. Just the way he is and a lot of UH grads who don’t follow the school
 like we do.

2 Likes