Urban Meyer: No chance of a spring college football season

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/11/urban-meyer-no-chance-of-a-spring-college-football-season/amp/

In an interview with the Big Ten Network, Meyer gives college football “no chance” of playing in the spring.

No chance,” Meyer, an assistant athletics director at Ohio State and FOX Sports college football analyst, said, via 247sports.com. “You can’t ask a player to play two seasons in a calendar year. When I first heard that, I said that. I don’t see that happening, when I hear that. The body, in my very strong opinion, is not made to play two seasons within a calendar year. That’s 2,000 repetitive reps and football’s a physical, tough sport. So I don’t, really don’t, see that happening.”

Star players eligible for the draft would have little reason to play, especially if the NFL keeps its current schedule for the draft.

“We recruited players at Ohio State that have a chance to earn a living and play the game and be rewarded for their great efforts, and you’re going to ask them to play spring football — by the way — and then go miss OTAs and not prepare for a dream to go play in a professional football?” Meyer said. “That’s not fair.”

And before the widespread use of automobiles, many scientists believed the human body was not made to withstand traveling faster than 15 miles per hour.

Just throwing that out there but I agree that two seasons in one year is a bad idea.

• The product will be watered down
  • Players would clearly be employees
  • Two seasons in nine months won’t work
  • There’s still a pandemic going on
  • Everybody’s going to get on the same page?

I wonder how high schools that offer both football and rugby and that have athletes that play both deal with this situation.

Who plays rugby? Not exactly an All American sport.

Heck, the human body isn’t made to play football at all. It takes a serious amount of training and conditioning for a person to even play football, and playing two seasons almost back-to-back isn’t a great idea. It could be done, but I imagine many players won’t do it.

It seems to me if we can’t play in the fall, then the best thing is to just go to next fall and hope for better circumstances.

2 Likes

It’s one of America’s fastest growing sports.

There’s even a pro league now.

GO HOUSTON SABERCATS!!!

That said, several Houston schools now sponsor football in the Fall and Rugby in the winter.

I wonder how athletes that do both cope with two consecutive high impact sport seasons, which is Meyer’s concern.

It may prove to be a model.

2 Likes

Okay I have heard of the SaberCats. So rugby is like soccer but more physical and don’t require full pads like football because it’s a low impact sport.

Okay I can see doing rugby and football in the same year. Linemen and linebackers can get a good physical workout.

1 Like

Don’t care about soccer or rugby

1 Like

The kids on scholly do :grinning:

1 Like

Meyer: “We don’t want to have to play without our star players and possibly lose games”

Apples and oranges, Moncoog. The off season is a time to heal from injuries and general wear and tear.

2 Likes

My nephew goes straight from football into wrestling competition. Pretty sure 18 year pld could play sports all year round.

Did yall see the video of him being interviewed and a shirtless guy comes into the background?

This!!! If we’re concerned about a virus spreading this fall, I’m far from bullish on things being cleared up in the spring.

1 Like

Coach pretty much nailed it. Asking too much of all involved, not only players but staff, admin, etc. I’d think you’d have a lot of opt outs, especially JR with pro aspirations. More encouraged about the Fall Season than was a month ago

I dont see spring football happening, the pac12 and big10 slow rolling this cancel of season, logistics of playing that many games in one season is crazy

Unfortunately and regrettably, I agree with you.