USFL

Some things never die:

If they had not been stupid and stayed as a spring league the sports world would look a lot differently today.

3 Likes

makes no sense now, either xfl or usfl, but both just dilute each other

3 Likes

One or both will not survive unless they merge.

If we can rent out TDECU AND get paid the rent, I am all for it.

18 Likes

I don’t see why spring football isn’t a thing. The weather is much better in spring than “fall”

5 Likes

Damn. It’s like a cockroach that never dies, and just drops into every bowl of soup it sees.

1 Like

Like Capitalism LOL. What does one expect?

That’s great Trump leadership for you. USFL related not political …

8 Likes

The brother of a friend of mine played for the Memphis Showboats.

Glad to see the return.

Small Potatoes, great 30 for 30 on USFL

1 Like

Yeah right lol!

Bring back the Gamblers!!!

2 Likes

It really was a nice league. It filled a gap. It was spring football and played in NFL stadiums. They had a national contract. But one owner, who spent whatever he wanted, pushed the league to go head to had against the NFL. That doomed them.

I remember one of the local radio stations had a phone-a-thon to collect money for the NFL owners to help pay their anti-trust damages. The USFL owners were awarded $1 in anti-trust damages. But those were trebled.

These are a bit creepy, kind of like the Stanford Tree…yikes!

1 Like

I never thought of Houston as a gambling town. It is many other things like Oilers, Astros, or Hurricanes but I dont get the gambling reference. They need to move to Reno or Vegas.

1 Like

If you drive in Houston traffic you’re a bigtime Gambler.

7 Likes

They need to change the name to the Houston Road Ragers.

I used to drive Houston traffic when I lived there 10 years ago. I was one of the guys out there jockeying for position on the beltway during rush hour. I moved to Corpus Christi where traffic is relatively mild. My kids live in Sugarland so when I go back my jockeying skills have been replaced with fear and white knuckle driving.

4 Likes

I see this “USFL” version as a “test drive” Spring Football league. The financial backers running this league are making a minimum financial investment to find out if they can recoup their money and maybe be financially viable. All games being played in one city does not give you any incentive to pull for one vs another. We/the customer base can’t identify to these teams. It is smart in a sense that the same owners will be able to gauge each market specific interest. They are trying to establish a “benchmark”

Believe its gambling in the context of wildcatting for oil.

2 Likes