Using a Manual Transmission

I loved driving my 5 speed on the winding River Road along the Mississippi River in Louisiana. But in stop and go traffic of Houston’s rush hours, by the time I got to work, I felt like I ran the whole way. But I am very comfortable with a stick shift, whether 3 on the tree or 4 or 5 on the floor.

My lone problem with a manual transmission was when I was in the navy and my ship was in the shipyard in Portsmouth, VA. I was assigned to the transportation group while we were in drydock and drove a stake bed truck, which was no problem. But one day I was told to go to the Norfolk Naval base and bring back another truck. When my buddy and I got there we were surprised to find the truck was a cab over diesel with two stick shifts. I lost the coin flip and had to drive it back to Portsmouth. It seemed to have had about a dozen gears on each shift. I got the drift of the one and only used that one back to Portsmouth, but I never got very fast.

2 Likes

Bought my first car in 1953 at an auction with money I earned as a grocery sacker after school and on weekends. 1948 English Ford 4 cylinder washing machine engine. But hey, it was a car. I don’t recall having much trouble learning how to use a manual shift. Taught my 3 sons how to drive a shift with a jeep I got them. IMO everyone should know how to drive a manual (even though Patty can’t).

1 Like

Good life skill to have, even if just barely functional. I don’t hate my life enough to drive one in any city but open road they’re still fun.

1 Like

I commuted to UH in a manual Honda CRX with no A/C. Didn’t think anything of it, even in traffic. Back then manuals were cheaper and got better gas mileage. That car got almost 50mpg! Now I get my thrill in a vintage manual Porsche. But my daily is an auto.

2 Likes

Classic German 6 speeds…yep lots of fun. I have one too.

1 Like

My first car was a 1979 black Camaro with black vinyl interior. It had AC, but it never worked. LOL

What year Porsche? One of my dream cars is a mid ‘80’s 911 Targa. Beautiful cars.

Mine’s a 95.

1 Like

Air cooled 911? Mine is the water cooled ones.

The first time I went “wow” over a car was the 1967 911 with the silver band over the top. All the early 911’s we air cooled.

My 1969 VW Bus was air cooled. I learned to be a mechanic having to fix everything on that car.

1 Like

Some of the easiest engines to work on…i am told…lol…I have a tech who does all the work for me.

‘78 petrol blue 911 Targa here. Hard to believe they were under 20g then. So much fun to drive. Also so expensive to repair. Blew the clutch one night….thousands later I had learned my lesson. Always will regret selling it.

The prices are nuts now. I have my eye on a manual NSX next.

I can see a future where gasoline non autonomous cars will only be able to be driven in a car parks and not on regular roads.

Yes last of the air-cooled 911 line. I only drive it when the weather is really nice. So its not high mileage, 28,000 miles. The good thing about maintenance is that parts a readily available so I do a lot myself. But for things I can’t, yea its pricey. There’s also a lot of support on the online community.

I have a great tech that works on the side at his home garage on porsches if you have a job a bit too big. He just did an engine out service for me.

Documented it all with pictures so i may document it all if/when I go to resell.

1 Like

Buddy of mine is going to sell his ‘91 NSX…red. My neighbor just sold his……what a great ride! Prices have almost doubled in the last 5 years….hope you find what you are looking for at a decent price

Yeah looking at 70-80k.

Have no idea what he is asking, but if interested I’ll give him a shout. High mileage but very good mechanically.

Mileage plays a role in the price…but sure ask him…send me a pm with the price.

Hadn’t thought about that…but yeah in 30-40 years that may be the law. And people
will see such cars as today we view the single engine bi-planes of long ago.

2 Likes

I will stick with my manuals transmission for as long as I am capable of driving one. Automatics are boring and I lose interest in the road.

Now, with electric cars, You really don’t even need the gas pedal. They really should try other options. A throttle lever would be cool and just keep the brake pedal. Just make the brake pedal cut the throttle when you use it. That way they can’t be like those that use their left foot on the brake. (another benefit of a clutch)