UT makes some changes but "Eyes of Texas" is staying

That article is behind a pay wall, so it might be better if I post this commentary on it, which quotes it extensively.

That said, I oppose this, simply because I’ve worked with current and former Texas Rangers in my work as a prosecutor, and have found them to be FIRST RATE Professionals in the areas of investigation and law enforcement.

That team name is a reflection of the people that I worked with, not those other people, as far as I’m concerned.

You don’t get a chance to choose, its the most offended of us that get to choose. Since I love the Astros and hate the Rangers, I am choosing to be very offended. A few compensatory draft picks might make me less offended.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a reach. I think naming teams after existing unaffiliated organizations is its own problem from a potential PR standpoint, but as long as we haven’t determined the organization is too racist to exist, I’d be hard pressed to buy that they’re too racist to have a team named after them.

I have heard that Pirates, Buccaneers and Raiders have somewhat of a checkered past.

Don’t get me started on the Vikings.

2 Likes

:cold_face:

You had to go ruin Ice cream trucks, don’t put this in the satellite thread Ice Cream truck - #13 by HCNY

2 Likes

Is that a challenge? :joy: I won’t repost it, but on the basis of surprises, I’ll just leave this here:

What the heck? It’s built into us to love that tune because we associate it with our childhood and ice cream. They could have picked anything and chose something like that. Ugh.

2 Likes

lol I feel bamboozled! It is interesting because I had no idea about any of these songs and their origins. Childhood ruined.

2 Likes

This thread is wild to me, because growing up when I did mostly in the 00s, none of these songs are familiar to me at all. Oh Susanna and Camptown Races were things that were alluded to, but I certainly don’t have any affection for them. And the ice cream trucks I’m familiar with were this one:

There was also this one, which played Scott Joplin’s The Entertainer, which has only very loose ties to minstrelsy, as far as I’m aware:

I think we might be at a point in history where debate about whether or not minstrel folk songs should be replaced is mostly academic.

1 Like

Well crap…I thought “Dinah” was Dinah Shore, which tells you how old I am…:smiley:

1 Like

“The Entertainer” is probably OK. It’s really a Ragtime song, not a minstrel song, and was composed by a Black artist. Joplin, admittedly, did perform in minstrel shows as a Black artist, but his Ragtime songs were really done independently of that, and constituted almost a whole new genre of music that blended African-American and European styles.

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know there were so many hidden racist origins.

The Incredible Story of America's First Pop Star - YouTube Good history on Joplin and his music

Actually the picture you posted is of Mr. Softee.
A totally different tune and words.

The video you linked is NOT Softee.
Go to the other board. I posted the nice clean softee song without a past over there.

I would like to Cancel the Washington Post!

1 Like

I’m confused…why are we talking about a picture? I was highlighting the music associated, and not trying to connect the thumbnail websites used to the actual tunes. I don’t think they meant to either.

To be honest, you have probably listened to and sung minstrel songs, and told minstrel jokes all the way back to your elementary school music class days without realizing it.

How many of you remember singing the following songs in elementary school music:

a) Polly Wolly Doodle
b) The Yellow Rose of Texas (the version you sung was likely a “sanitized” version with lyrics that delete a lot of the original racist language, and replace it with something more G-rated)
c) Oh Susanna
d) Ring, Ring the Banjo
e) Sewanee River
f) Dixie
g) Camptown Races
h) Old Dan Tucker (have you heard the Bruce Springsteen version?)
i) My Old Kentucky Home (again, the version you hear at the Kentucky Derby is somewhat sanitized)
j) Shoofly Don’t Bother Me
k) Turkey in the Straw

???

If so, then you unwittingly sung a minstrel song.

How about the old joke “Why did the chicken cross the road? Because it wanted to get to the other side!!!”

Minstrel show joke.

Anyone ever seen a high stepping “cakewalk” dance?

That dance was legitimately developed by African-Americans, but was hijacked by and became a staple in minstrel shows, and was usually performed at the end of the first act.

1 Like

It’s like digging up dinosaur bones, though they were just fine where they were, its a lot more compelling to figure out how they got there. Leave it to Coogs to take a post about the boring horns and turn it into something interesting.

I’m very proud right now. :sunglasses:

1 Like

GREAT video on Joplin!

Scott Joplin was truly a man before his time.

Until I saw that video, I didn’t realize how much Irving Berlin was influenced by him.

Thanks!

1 Like