UT makes some changes but "Eyes of Texas" is staying

That song was first published by Minstrel Show pioneer (arguably the founder of the genre) Edwin Pearce Christy.

See here:

That link contains the lyrics to the song’s original, racially offensive version.

The version you sang in elementary school most likely changed those lyrics into something more benign (or at least, I would hope so).

That song has strong Confederate ties, as it was more or less the official marching song of Hood’s Texas Brigade, and later, the Army of Tennessee.

Incidentally, after Hood got routed at Nashville and Franklin, what was left of the Army of Tennessee, on its retreat back to Georgia, developed and sang a spiteful version of the song to lament their defeat, and their incompetent commander:

And now I’m going southward
My heart is full of woe.
I’m heading back to Georgie
To meet my Uncle Joe (a reference to CSA Gen. Joe Johnston)
You may talk about your Beauregard, and sing of General Lee
But the gallant Hood of Texas
Played Hell in Tennessee

Lol every country in the world has racism and I think our great country has made more strides for equality than any other. But that’s my opinion assuming I have a right to have one.

3 Likes

Actually, minstrel shows were really at their peak in the 1840s and 50s before the Civil War, but they continued to have some popularity on stage through the early 1900s.

As unbelievable as it might sound, even some top African-American performers, such as Bert Williams and Ernest Hogan, donned blackface and performed in such shows. I can’t even begin to imagine how humiliating that must have been.

Minstrel show scenes were still depicted in Hollywood movies as late as the 1930s and 1940s. The popular movie “White Christmas” actually contains a non-blackface “white washed” Minstrel skit.

And to show just how much more racist, and how much less progressive Europe is than the USA (contrary to beliefs held by some Americans), the #1 rated TV show on BBC television in the UK up until the late 70s…

was THIS!!!

Cougardue,

It is indeed unique, as you said. It does indeed show just how much racism has been present in our society.

But I think that it is worthy perhaps of academic and historical discussion, as I’d like to believe we are doing here. Hopefully, we learn the lessons of history.

And of course, many of those songs have become American standards.

Perhaps it should be looked upon as one phase (however embarrassing), in the development of truly American musical and theater forms.

You’re an actor and comic, right? How do you view it?

1 Like

Its defiantly part of our entertainment history and lead to vaudeville and that lead to the variety show. The effect on songs and on America music is huge. As gross as it was, African American culture came through. What i had read was it was popular pre civil war but blew up in the north largely attended by new immigrants who had never seen African Americans. It was post civil that it was preferred to see Minstrels done by “authentic” black perfomers. Still they had to perform the old stereotype routines. They suffered indignation but worked and created our first sounds of African American music.

Everything is racist - so nothing is racist! We’re all being bamboozled!

1 Like

You are not the one confused.

The folks that put the article together should not have used a picture of “Mr. Softee” who is well known for a famous little tune of their own and then refer to another song completely.

I don’t have any stock in Mr. Softee and don’t like their product unless I am desperate for ice cream.

My beef is with the editor certainly not you.

1 Like

If people want to be offended, they will find a way – even by things that were in no way intended to be. I have had enough of this crap.

4 Likes

Thanks for making me laugh Red.

The Whorns tune sounded a bit different today. Although they recognize the players appear satisfied with the changes announced by their interim president, they are not anticipating that the players will sing the song and may just head off to the locker room. One of the requests were for the players not to have to sing the song going forward. If this occurs, I think long-term “The Eyes” won’t be along for ever.

They do have to have some kind of re-birth ceremony of some sorts by burying the past and refreshing the song, possibly with a new tune if that would fly.

Is Deep in the Heart of Texas, still okay?

Yeah. Although our State Anthem, Texas, Our Texas should probably be replaced.

Not that it’s racist or anything, as far as I know. It just sucks and needs to go.

1 Like

All I know is The Eyes of Texas is a silly, stupid song with childish lyrics. It’s almost as bad as Texas Our Texas, but I don’t think anything could be that bad. We need a new state song in the worst way. And, yes, I’m a native Texan.

Why?

Why do you need a state song?

Because Texas isn’t just a state, its a State of Mind!

1 Like

I had fun singing it as kid. Seemed like a crowd pleaser

The first college game I remember going to was the 1961 Bluebonnet Bowl between Texas and Alabama. I can remember how exciting it was when all those Longhorn fans followed the band in singing this song. I had no clue, and still don’t, what the words were or what they meant, but it certainly was an awesome event to be involved in.
I am sure somewhere in the Coog fight song you can find something that offends someone…
that said I am like Red and think this crap is getting out of hand.
There are rap songs that offend me, but I simply don’t listen to them…I suggest everyone doing the same…because I would bet most every song ever produced could be linked back to someone who had a great, great grandpa who fought in the civil war lol…

1 Like

This is what always happens when legitimate concerns get managed and corrupted by the extremists. After Minneapolis, the country was ready for healthy change and was ready to view problems from a different perspective. However the extremists tried going for ridiculous “bridges too far” with the statues snd the cancel culture and now you are seeing fatigue and pushback. Of course the legitimate concerns will not be addressed because all the political and social capital was expended on statues, songs and symbolism.

Extremists don’t understand that political and social capital is finite and has a shelf life and you better use it quickly and wisely. Because if you don’t the great middle of America who are very decent people finally say “great you want a statue change, swell here have at it now leave me alone I have to get back to work”.

4 Likes

I think that the problem is that those UT players don’t have have a “choice” not to listen to that dang minstrel song in the stadium.

It’ll be played every game with them standing there and being forced to listen.

As I said above, it’ll be interesting to see how they react.

Will they walk back into the locker room? Assume a protest posture (turn their backs, etc), make a gesture?

If that happens, then as I said above…I’m guessing the song won’t be around for long.

We’ll see.

I’m seeing a contradiction. How can people be ready for change but put a time limit on change? I also don’t understand “get back to work”. Are people not working simultaneously while demanding change? Has the world stopped? The logic/reasoning isn’t adding up.

2 Likes

It is called the human condition which is if you keep asking for things (most of them ridiculous) eventually people turn a deaf ear. I care about my kids but if they keep asking me for things, I stop taking their call. All humans are like that. Nobody is “oh do you have another grievance today, well lets deal with today’s problem. Can’t wait to hear about tomorrow’s”.

You have people’s attention for only a period of time, use the time wisely. Use the social and political capital wisely.