UTEP is 4-1

Next time we need a coach, we should consider theirs whoever that is.

4 Likes

Dana Dimel… for some reason that name gives me PTSD.

5 Likes

Looks like UH hired him 20 years too early

5 Likes

In my best Sorting Hat (Harry Potter) voice, “another Dana…” lol

2 Likes

UTEP was slaughtered by the only semi-decent team they’ve played, Boise
St (2-3).

2 Likes

The coach Wyoming fans thanked us for hiring then gave UH its only winless season.

His record at UTEP is 9-28

3 Likes

Utep’s last wining season was in 2014. That’s a lot of struggling. Their fans deserve some happiness after that much losing.

6 Likes

Somewhere in El Paso tonight, a coach is celebrating with a waitress on a pool table in a local bar.

4 Likes

4 games at QB for Dana at UH before a good run at then FCS Texas State. (Tom Herman was the OC)

2 Likes

Barrick Nealy was awesome. Had the “it” but was gonna be dropped in the depth chart (I believe) once Kolb came our way or some such. Good player.

1 Like

You must be crazy…been there, done that!

2 Likes

Barrick Nealy got hurt when we played Tennessee and looked great before he went down. Then I guess Kolb showed up and it was over.

No problema …

UTEP will soon play Rice UTSA UAB LaTech … and the miners will be back to normal

2 Likes

They were 1-11 in ‘18 and ‘19. Winning four games is progress. I never thought Dimel was a terrible coach. Helton had hardly recruited his last year or two, and the program was absolutely in shambles when Dimel took over. I remember we had two 240-pound true freshmen playing DT his 1st year.

2 Likes

I was at that infamous 0 - 11 game in Athens against UGa … (originally postponed in Sept because of 9-11) … Dimel never showed up on the field until kickoff … I remember listening to UGa radio and their thinking we were still running the R&S offense … UGa has a nice scenic campus … reminds me of the Berkeley campus …

1 Like

I was a student during the Dimel era. Waterboy also came out during that time and we saw it for free at the UC. Then we’d go to the games and say “oh man, we suck again!”

8 Likes

UTEP is gonna beat at least Rice, and then they only need one more to go bowling.

That would be nice … but I suspect the SunBelt conf has all the locks on the bottom of the totem pole chumpy bowls …

Jim Adler needs to come out with the Hammer to the 18 Wheelers bowl … to be played at Tully Stadium or Delmar (if its still around) :wink:

I agree. The cupboard was pretty bare when he took the job. The winless season was because he tried to do what Snyder had done at Kansas State to turn that program around. In the winless season, Dimel redshirted all his good players to build depth. The following year, if Nealy does not get hurt, we do much better than 5 - 7 and Dimel may have kept his job.

Briles first year was a success due to bringing In Kolb (why Nealy transferred) and the players Dimel has redshirted.

2 Likes