Varsho vs Kirk

That would mean the weather is changing fast in Hell. :laughing:

2 Likes

Whit the rare tall big time prospect with worse control as he gets older.
Astros have great development but after this many seasons ?

Whit as a long reliever seems like panning out right now.

I’m close to calling that project defunct

1 Like

Let’s just say it goes beyond the Astros ability to develop pitchers.

1 Like

As well as the Astros have done with the farm system, the failure to bring a catcher to the majors is kind of a glaring weakness. Quintero is the last one I can remember who stuck for at least a full season, but he wasn’t very good. We basically gave Stassi away after he couldn’t hold the job. The kid with 2 bad shoulders was the last one I remember who was an offensive threat, and that was over 20 years ago.

It’s weird.

1 Like

Well, we have two right now Diaz and Lee who are both MLB ready IMO.

Berryhill isn’t far behind.

Right, but we’ve thought that before, and it hasn’t materialized. Even if one of them does make the jump, that’s still a LONG time in between successes.

1 Like

I think they are going to have a focus to back off on Maldi catching so many gms. As a Team who’s primary n expected goal last several seasons is to Win the Pennant, I don’t see them giving a Minor League catcher who made the squad out of Spring Training that many starts. Of course they also haven’t obtained another catcher yet in off season so who knows what their plans may be . Just my thoughts. I would like Varsho as our everyday CF , doesn’t he catch some iirc ?

In my opinion, to be a legitimate catcher at Maldonado’s level, a guy can’t really split time as an outfielder. I think Varsho would be serviceable in a limited catcher role, but not THE GUY.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with this. Thinking maybe at most he would catch a gm every 2 weeks or so. Wasn’t really looking at him as everyday CF + the backup Catcher … uhh yea that’s a NO GO. Sorry if that’s the way it was interpeted. Just hesitant on Minor League catcher all sudden on WS contender catching 40-50% of time. Big unknown what they will do. They have options within the Organization, I just don’t like them at moment.

Maldonado mentoring Lee, Diaz or both would be ideal.

I have talked to Funk quite a bit how I am all in on Diaz….seen him play multiple times….Kid is the real deal.

The Myles Straw trade will be one of the worst Cleveland will have made when all is said and done.

Yainer plays first as well.

2 Likes

I can definitely see them going w one of the two as the backup. Just makes me nervous. At least i have 1 person to blame if it flames.

And uhhh, I thought Pollard/Funk were ONE in the same.
I keed I keed! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::grin:

1 Like

Yainer will be an All-Star at some point.

And as far as Funk goes, great minds think alike….although he is way more intelligent.

1 Like

The first part that’s a BIG statement but you’ve seen him more than I have.

Second part, I’ll leave alone for sure. Positive waves only over here. :upside_down_face:

My concern is that we lost our workhorse in Verlander. Its fine that we’re loaded on the staff but it was always a known issue that we needed a better hitting CF, a DH, and possibly a back-up catcher. We went through two iterations of free agent buying pow-pows and didn’t take a lick at a snake for CF.

Now Crane is at the point of having to give up a piece of the staff for that piece. I don’t like losing two quality pieces of my pitching staff when that’s what carried us to the Series. And AZ is gonna drag his (Crane’s) nuts through the puddle to pay for any of those guys at this point.

1 Like

Odds that we have to get a SP at the trade deadline? 5/2?

The d backs asking price for Varsho would be too high. That power/speed combo and position flexibility is extremely valuable. Also, Varsho is still young and has yet to hit his ceiling. Saying all that I would be thrilled if he became Astro. But I don’t think it’s likely.

1 Like

Varsho was traded to the Blue Jays.

Grade trade by the Jays……they traded from area of strength ( catcher) and Yurri .

For us I think it would have required Lee or Yainer, Plus, Urquidy or Cha Cha and one of our young outfielders.

For us, I’m glad it was a pass.

3 Likes

I don’t think we would have been able to match the Jays offer without maybe including Javier.

Gabriel Moreno is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball, Diaz or Lee aren’t on that level.