Verlander gone

Two greatest quote pairings I may have ever seen…

1 Like

The thing is despite that hefty sum of money that he’s getting from the Mets his take home pay is still probably less than the $33 million a year that he was getting from the Astros during the two years he sat out because of injuries! The taxes in New York would eat up those extra pays that the Mets give him over what the Astros gave him. Furthermore, the costs of living in NY City is nearly twice that of Houston’s costs of living! That’s why I never understood why any player would leave a team in the south for a northeastern team for the $2-$4 million extra that they would get if their salary is in the $30-$45 million range. Unless it is for the pursuit of a championship because the northeastern team is a lot better, I simply don’t think it is wise to leave a team in the south because a New York team offers you $3-$4 million more per year because after taxes and higher costs of living considerations you actually keep more money in your pocket playing for a team in the south even when you’re making $3-$4 million less. I guess it’s all about ego and bragging rights — the ability to tell other people you have the highest salary or one of the highest salaries that many players feel is important to them and to be known for among their peers.

1 Like

Ego…and the third year.

1 Like

Parody. Fake news!

Or it’s just about the 3rd year

A Houston legend for sure!

And Justin was pretty good, too… :grin:

The taxes aren’t that high. For one, the rate isn’t that high. Also, he’s only taxed in NY for home games. Not to mention you have to offset those taxes with NY’s lower property tax rates.

His taxes went up but not nearly to the point you’re mentioning. Now, cost of living is another story. That said, he doesn’t have to live there year round.

He will come out ahead financially.

Mets over Yankees. Good choice.

Thanks for the memories JV…and, of course, Kate.

NYC city income tax, too…

From what I’ve heard baseball players have to pay taxes in all the states they play games in… Anyone know if that’s true…?

1 Like

You pay taxes based on where you play a game.

I bet Verlander knows a good CPA… :grin:

People see things at their peak of optimism. They see the staff without Verlander pitching like the staff did in October for the whole 2023 season. But conventional wisdom says one guy will have an off year. There will probably be one or two injuries, maybe more. You don’t just add some hitting and say we’re better now. They’d better get another arm or two in the process. That’s the way the world works.

We were better with Verlander. Until proven otherwise.

3 Likes

When you make $43Mil/yr, does it even matter?

1 Like

Go get:

Lefty for the pen
CF capable hitting .275
Lock down Brantley if available
Right-handed sinker pitcher (Med to High Quality) for 2 inning relief

And, if you aren’t getting Contreras, the best utility guy for the value

The previous was provided by Funk-Metric. (Invoice enclosed)

1 Like

People also project Verlander from last year to 2023, which is also unlikely, though possible.

On the flip side, guys like Garcia, Urquidy and Brown could pitch better than they did last year.

With McCullers, who knows? And what about a full season for Javier?

We have pitching upside. Peak pessimism isn’t the way to go, either. :slightly_smiling_face:

I fully agree that we need a LHP for the pen and another bat. Upgrading CF offense would be a nice bonus.

I’m glad he is gone because he is a diva without a lot of integrity IMO.

I know some will disagree and that’s cool.

My reasoning is pretty straightforward….Between he and has wife they have more money than they will ever need for generations….but for him, it’s still just about the cash.( 317 Million not including the contract he just signed and this does not include Kate’s Money or any endorsement money)

Now, I’m not saying don’t go maximize your worth….but this guy had just made $50M for pitching 6 innings!!
He was then aloud to rehab away from the team almost the entire time….he was then given a 25M contract for a 39 year old guy coming off TJ right after the 50M……The Astros and Crane showed a tremendous amount of faith in him.
If that’s me I’m carrying around a tremendous amount of guilt, even after this season.
I’m not even saying he should have opted in for this year at 25M.

But if Crane offered two years at 60-65 he should have taken it and returned the faith they showed in him.

Guy has always been about himself….

4 Likes

Justin doesn’t owe Crane anything. If Crane wanted to resign he would have.

If Justin doesn’t have a weak postseason, is there more of an urgency from Crane to resign him?

If Framber struggled & Verlander was rock solid. I think so.

But Framber was great. And now he needs a long term contract

2 Likes

Like I said if you don’t agree cool……and as far as owing Crane….that’s fine.

What about his teammates?

What about fans that pay the higher ticket prices so Crane have have the higher payroll?

He didn’t do crap for two years and got paid full boat……I personally would do everyone a solid if I was in his position….I wouldn’t need to scrape that extra 5-7M , especially after making over 300M already.

4 Likes