Walk on tryouts?

No joke Chris…there was an undersized RB who was drafted I think in the 3rd round…pretty much same measurables coming out of HS…you may have heard of him…

Emmitt Smith…

Heart is everything. Just ask Grant Stuard. Just ask Jake Herslow…

Best of luck to this young man, and I am glad he chose the Cougars !

11 Likes

Alisha,
Please tell your young man to never, never,never give up ! As a recent example look at Jake Herslow .
Go Coogs !

6 Likes

Emmitt Smith was the 16th pick in Round One.

The Super Bowl MVP played ar Eastern Washington. Had no Division 1 offers.

5 Likes

He definitely will keep working and stay ready.
They posted on Twitter requesting for volunteers for recruiting, camera crew, etc. He signed up just incase.

5 Likes

The Star system has some merit, but the kid has to have someone out there promoting him with the recruiting sites, developing film packages, etc. these days are they don’t get a look. If not that, a coaching staff that reaches out and promotes their kids.

2 Likes

Come on coaches. Give the young man a look.

1 Like

Good luck Alisha, I hope your son makes it. Walk-ons have a special place in my heart and I really love it when they earn a scholarship.

3 Likes

The more interest he shows in the program and the more he gets around it the better! If they see the drive he has for the program in general, they’d be hard pressed not to give him a shot after learning more about his skills on the football field. Rooting for your son, and I have a feeling we’ll see him on the field before he graduates from UH!

3 Likes

He found out there will no be spring try outs this spring season. They will not hold them until the fall. A little disappointing but it is okay all things work for the good. More time to get ready and just enjoy being a Coog. Thank you guys for your help and encouragement. Love keeping up with what is happening on through this chat.

15 Likes

You are very welcome Alisha. The Fall is coming quick.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Mrs. Smith, Sherman is lucky to have a great mom.

Go Coogs and good luck to Sherman Smith!

3 Likes

Keep us updated on his progress.

3 Likes

Alisha,
Let’s make this wait a positive for your son. We can say that it gives him more time to build his football network with coaches, players and staff . He should be a football volunteer when he can. He should get as many classes done toward his degree as possible.
Go Coogs !

1 Like

He should hit the weight room and get into tip top shape so when tryouts occur he will be ready.

2 Likes

Including the freaking awesome OL they had

3 Likes

Thank you

Will do

Serious question, since Alisha brought it up. How do walk on’s get a look if there is no work out. Do we have walk on’s? Or, are they all preferred.

Fall tryouts

MOMMA! → Walk-on Try Out info - Cougar Football - Coogfans

1 Like