Ward on last night's comeback

matt hogan the goat

4 Likes

Winning a Peach Bowl > Ticket City or losing an armed forces bowl

2 Likes

20,000 yards and 155 touchdowns is the measured stick.

2 Likes

I love both equally
 both are an era to be remembered forever

10 Likes

Case had better completion percentages than Ward. A lot more throws deep too. No Applewhite play calling where half your throws are bubble screens and jet sweeps (Kyle Allen was at 76% when benched). Not putting down Ward, he was something special on 3rd downs and seemed to never miss if it was needed. Both guys are just winners.

4 Likes

I was just saying Ward wasn’t just a running and scrambling QB. Keenum was 2 percentage points higher than Ward. Ward was 4 over King.

1 Like

Completely different offensive styles as said above. Case was passing the ball way more than Ward in games and Keenum also was throwing many more crossing routes and deep balls so have to take that into account if going to look at passing percentage. Case had amazing accuracy which was needed in the Air Raid. Ward played in the RPO system that had way more designed QB runs and shorter passes. They are both great atheletes and yes Ward won a bigger bowl game than Case did, but overall I think that Case Keenum era rejuvenated UH football and put it back on the map. When you are breaking passing records that will probably never be broken again and beating top teams that no one thought UH had a chance against it gets the attention of college football. If it wasn’t for Scumlin we would of had an undefeated season under Case and I have no doubt would of beat Michigan in the Sugar Bowl. Herman waited it out and won the Peach Bowl to boost his resume and jump ship. Sumlin couldn’t be bothered to wait for what should be a big deal for any coach in going undefeated regular season, conference championship, and winning the Sugar Bowl. If Sumlin didn’t sabotage the season negotiating with A&M, then I am not even sure if we would be having this debate.

1 Like

For sure. King isn’t even in the same conversation as Ward.

8 Likes

Thanks pesik

Loved the video with the Friday Night Lights soundtrack. A wonderful look back at outstanding seasons led by two outstanding Coog QBs, Keenum and Ward.

I fought hard to hold back the tears with little success. Booyah to you.

3 Likes

Yes Ward had a miserable first half and got hurt late in the second quarter allowing the Postman to deliver

Player with best passing ability since I’ve followed UH football was David Klingler

2 Likes

^^THIS^^

He deserved the Heisman, but there was no way that they were going to give it to a UH QB two years in a row. Klingler was better than Detmer that year.

5 Likes

True. Andre won the Heisman but was the 2nd-best QB on the 89 UH team, IMO

1 Like

Did you see Andre or David play?

Yes sir and Mr. WARD played hurt because judas the eye twitch man told him to do so. Not only was it ill advised but it also cost Mr. WARD big bucks.
I am forever grateful for the courage and ability that Mr. WARD gave us all.

7 Likes

That was before my time. Andre and David were studs who in their own right broke many college passing records that it took another Coog in Case Keenum to break. In this debate over Ward and Case, I think it might come down to when a person bacame introduced or most active in following UH Football. I was at UH during the Keenum era. I also am very aware that in the 2000s that the football program in the abyss and to me that is why what Case is so important. Andre has the Heisman so of course if we are going to go with accolades he sits on top of them all. For those wo got into UH football in late 80s and ealy 90s I am sure watching Kingler and Ware makes that time for special for them. For me seeing how Case played the game and passe the ball, the records he broke, and how he rejuvenated UH football to sell out Robertson frequently his last couple years at UH is special. For those who got into UH Sports, attended UH, and developed a passion for Coog football fond over the Ward years, they are going to pick him over the others. I think it comes down to what era of UH Football a person became the most passionate and connect with special memories while at UH if a student on campus at the time. Ware, Kingler, Kolb, Keenum, and Ward are all UH legends and a UH fan will have a greater connection to their memories based on when and how it relates them to UH Football. I will say that if Case and Ward were not relegated to the ugly and belittling G5 label then both of them should of been and would of been in high consideration for Heismans in their own right.

I 100%. agree with you on the G5 moniker.
Andre won the Heisman against all odds. His numbers spoke for themselves but deliberately the then media and our old SWC enemies did everything so he could not get it. He did get and believe me this was not well received in Texas but Houston.
Clearly David EARNED the Heisman. This is how powerful our enemies are/were. Detmer had a fine season but by the same logic/reasoning David deserved it much more. The stats speak for themselves and we were on probation same with Andre with the you know who and their ncaa allies breathing down our necks.
Case earned it too and yes the same put down was applied on him.

3 Likes

Sorry folks, but this whole Case vs. Greg debate is silly. Both were successful at UH on the field and represented UH with class. Case beat out Blake Joseph, himself a good gunslinger, and Greg beat out John O’Korn, who everyone had high hopes on, but was inconsistent and played himself out of the starters position.

I tell you what
you can have first choice between Case and Greg and I will still be happy and win a ton of ball games.

5 Likes

Both of them are forever great Coogs.
Before Andre. David and Kevin we had many great QB’'s. This is not a silly debate but it reflects on the terrible job that our school promoting the past
or even promoting this team.
Someone posted of the student center not buzzing with Coof football fever. That is a major issue that for some reasons is never addressed, swept under the rug or we do not even bother to do so.

I became a Coog in 1976 when Danny Davis was the QB that led us to the SWC crown and Cotton Bowl win over #4 Maryland beating #9 Texas A&M, #20 UT, and #5 Texas Tech in the regular season. But he was a veer QB and did not get the recognition of the gunslingers. However, if you are going to talk about all-time great UH QB’s you have to put his name at or near the top.

Ware was recruited to UH by Bill Yeoman to run the veer but ended up with the Run & Shoot offense. He was a very fast and could run as well as any we’ve had. Klingler was a better passer who could process the progressions very fast, but not as good of a runner.

Case was a very accurate passer and an adequate runner. He would go through all of the progressions quickly and sling it. He was just a winner – period. Everyone knew that as long as he was in the game, we had a chance.

Ward was lightning quick and a good passer. His thing though was to look at his first option, and maybe his second option, and then take off. But man was he exciting.

When asking who would you want to win one game, one would have to ask, in which offense? There are just too many variables. But, with this OL in this system, I would think that Case or Klingler would be my choices due to their ability to quickly go through the progressions and throw accurate passes. For the long ball, Klingler would be the best choice. But any of the above would be OK with me – and so would Kevin Kolb.

And so would Clayton Tune!

4 Likes